• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LED tails and Q panel guard

T&A-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for what Jes and Farmer Matt have on THEIR XJs. Farmer matt sells just the box to replace the stock light but thats not what I want and they wont do a custom set.
picture.JPG

I would make them myself but dont have a brake(sp?) to bend the corner. anyone here sell these without holes for the tails? If no one does this I will go to a metal shop but figured ide check here first.

Thanks

T&A-XJ said:
I am looking for what Jes and Farmer Matt have on THEIR XJs. Farmer matt sells just the box to replace the stock light but thats not what I want and they wont do a custom set.
picture.JPG

I would make them myself but dont have a brake(sp?) to bend the corner. anyone here sell these without holes for the tails? If no one does this I will go to a metal shop but figured ide check here first.

Thanks

Where did you get that pic? They look awesome. The rear Q panel is a pretty vulnerable place, I banged mine a bit on my 1st trip through the Rubicon.
Troy

Those are the ones I made for myself about a year and a half ago. I've only made one other set and they were for CRASH's new rig...
picture.JPG

...that set took me about 12 hours( :shocked: ) to fabricate and install. Lots of people have shown interest in these but the fact of the matter is that they are too labor intensive to make and are really hard to fit. I think I'm the only one who has made a set of these that incorporates the body lines and that's what makes these so hard to make. It would be much easier to make a set that stays below the body lines.

Jes

I have a set of 1/4 panel guards that I just got from Performance Metal Works and they cover the same area as Jes'. The only exception is that it doesn't wrap around and give you metal taillights. The way Chris did it is to extend a little to the side of the taillight to prevent the taillight from being peeled back on a rock. His reason for not including taillight boxes is exactly what Jes says that it is too time consuming to bend and also to fit. One of the reasons is that the taillights are square boxes and the 1/4 panel has a slight bend from top to bottom. This is why fitment becomes an issue. I will get some pictures of my new 1/4 guards when I get the time to actually get them installed.

-Mike

yea the pic was from jes's site. hope you dont mind. Im not too worried about having it go above the upper body line, so that makes it a little easier. I guess i want them more like Farmer matts(the ones on his XJ).

If you want to do them like that you could always just weld together straight pieces of steel. Just fill the corners with enough weld so that you can grind a smooth radius in them.

Jes

Big Jeep 101 said:
I have a set of 1/4 panel guards that I just got from Performance Metal Works and they cover the same area as Jes'. The only exception is that it doesn't wrap around and give you metal taillights. The way Chris did it is to extend a little to the side of the taillight to prevent the taillight from being peeled back on a rock. His reason for not including taillight boxes is exactly what Jes says that it is too time consuming to bend and also to fit. One of the reasons is that the taillights are square boxes and the 1/4 panel has a slight bend from top to bottom. This is why fitment becomes an issue. I will get some pictures of my new 1/4 guards when I get the time to actually get them installed.

-Mike

Mike, where did you see those? I only see the door armor, no rear quarter armor. Looks great Jes, I hope that you or someone makes them for sale in the near future, just like Farmer Matt is doing with his tail lights & roof rails.
Troy

Jes said:
If you want to do them like that you could always just weld together straight pieces of steel. Just fill the corners with enough weld so that you can grind a smooth radius in them.

Jes

I might just do that. Just the mid part of the panel is damaged. Hopefully a local shop wont mind braking the corner for a reasonable price. if not its gonna be weld and grind. Thanks for your help.

Tim

T&A-XJ said:
I might just do that. Just the mid part of the panel is damaged. Hopefully a local shop wont mind braking the corner for a reasonable price. if not its gonna be weld and grind. Thanks for your help.

Tim
if you haven't discovered the joys of a Flap Wheel, I HIGHLY suggest you go to your local welding/steel shop and get one

Back