• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full size spare on a doughnut mount?

cherokeekid95

NAXJA Forum User
this past weekend i was at a jeep show in york pa. the PA Jeeps show. well anyway i saw a 2 door xj there that looked like a 95 it was green with red stripe on the side. the owner was not around i checked back twice but was not present. anyway he had a full sized spare mounted where the pathetic one used to be. with his back seat up. first off does anyone know who this is? secondly has anyone does this themselves? how? i have mine mounted to the roof. on the stock roof rack. eventually gonna get an aftermarket roof rack but just wonderin how he did it. thanks for the help guys!

Nothing unusual about this, dude. A stock full size tire will fit, not to mention up to a 31" as well.

Done it? They came like that from the factory. Not all XJs had donut spares. Any XJ with Trac-Lok came with a full-size spare, and I believe some other options did as well.

As usual, there seem to be variations. Most people have no problem fitting a 235/75R15 or a 30x9.50R15 in the stock location. One or two people have managed to fit a 31x10.50R15, and on the other extreme I talked to another customer at my dealership once who said a 235 wouldn't fit in his.

I have a 31x10.5 mounted there and it fits but the left side of the seat wont lock in( about 1/2 inch off) this isn't really a problem, you can still sit back there. also, i had it exstend the bolt and use a large fenderwasher because I put the bolt through one of the 2 in holes in the wheel instead of the lug hole.

hmm sounds like i need to try and squeeze it in there. ok thanks guys for the tips. the back seat is not an issue i never have it up anyway

To fit anything bigger than a 225-75 there I had to remove that little bracket bolted to the floor that the tire sit on.

When I bought my XJ all the mounting hardware was missing. So I'm not really sure how the spare was mounted or what the hardware looks like. Didn't matter anyways. The spare tire is a 31 inherited from the previous owner. My others are 30's. That threaded bolt thingy coming off the wall could not reach through the rim far enough for the large plastic wing nut (which I found at a junkyard) to screw down on.

I ended up going to Ace Hardware and bought a piece of threaded rod and some nuts and connected it to the bolt thingy. This extended bolt is screwed down through a lug hole. This fix seems to work pretty well. For added measure I also have it strapped down.

One day I'm gonna have to buy a 30 for that spare. Been kinda dreading the day I have to use the current one. But at least I have a spare. Seen too many stranded motorists without spares or jacks. Never could understand that.

Even with the bracket doodad at the bottom, I was able to fit a 30x9.50 BFG AT on mine. I did have to maneuver it around a bit and I think I moved the J-bolt to the 'other' hole but it fit. Don't ask me which one the 'other' is though because I've yanked it since then. 32s simply won't fit unless I cut a notch in the floor....

I have my 31 back there with the floor mount still in place and the rear seat locks in possition. Just need to air it down. I carry an air compressor at all times along with a plug kit.

Mike

MK96XJ said:
I have my 31 back there with the floor mount still in place and the rear seat locks in possition. Just need to air it down. I carry an air compressor at all times along with a plug kit.

Mike

I call that cheating. :yap:

Back