• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high steer conversion

fnjeep314

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I am trying to figure out if I can take the stock outer C's from my D30 on my WJ and put in some D44 flat top knuckles and do a high steer conversion? Anyone know?

I see the pics but was there any modification that had to be done to make it all work? I know that I will need the Flat top 44 knuckles and the 44 ball joints as well as the high steer arms that bolt up top but what else? That what I got from the photos at least.

P.S. I did the search and I did not come up with anything.

just weld on the D44 inner C's (I think it's CJ D30 ones that will fit your tubes best) then bolt up the outer knuckle stuff. this requires having a 297/760 joint on your inner shaft to match the outer stub shaft. also you have to decide on bolt pattern, 5on5.5, 6on5.5, or 8on6.5.

BrettM said:
just weld on the D44 inner C's (I think it's CJ D30 ones that will fit your tubes best) then bolt up the outer knuckle stuff. this requires having a 297/760 joint on your inner shaft to match the outer stub shaft. also you have to decide on bolt pattern, 5on5.5, 6on5.5, or 8on6.5.

Isn't the distance fromt he tube to the middle of the C different also? Have to watch that closely before welding on the new C's.

If money isn't an issue I would purchase the Teraflex D30 knuckle....and then purchase thier high steer drag link and tie rod....

http://teraflx.com/index2.htm

It works beautifully...requires some modification to your bracketry(track bar and sway bar disconnect)...there is a nice write up in the new issue of 4wheel drive sport and utility...

according to the measurements that I made with a friend of mine my axle is 1.5inches longer on the passenger side than his HP30 on his XJ. I think that will still be an issue. I guess that I could cut off that much and be good. Then weld on the new C's

I welded d44 c's on my old d30, you do need custom inner shafts made. I still have the housing and innershafts if your interested.
chadc

Do a search on ebay as well as google the net for high steer arms. They're all over now. A few years ago when I built my D44, they were hard to come by, but now it seems like everybody and their brother is building them. BTW, I would build a HP D44 before going through changing inner C's on a 30. Oh yeah, I did. :) My article is on http://www.madxj.com
Jeff

Back