• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ trimming 33's

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys, Just have a few questions I am installing the 4.5 superflex kit on my 2000 xj and I was planning on running 33x12.5's MTR's was wondering how much trimming will I have to do to the fenders to make em fit and can I reuse the stock flares after I trimm. My flares are the same color as the jeep so I would like to re-use them if possible. I dont like the bushwacker flares... If anybody has any pics of the trimming they did i would greatly appreciate it thanks take care.

sorry no pics, but ive got the bushwackers anyway. you do know that thay can be painted [the bushwackers]? BTW 2000 sport

i have that exact lift on my 87 with a 3/4" coil spacer (highly recommended to get the nose up) i did not install new upper bumpstops and run 33x12.50 MT/Rs...... i trimmed almost up to the top of where the stock flares were but not quite... i need to go another inch because i rub the fenders when i stuff 'em...

standard

standard

i will trim a lil more and hit it with some TJ flares soon.... i didnt have to trim the rear but it does rub the flares and i will trim a lil bit....

mike

I found the problem with the front and rear of the fender not having enough room when a 33" tire gets stuffed. I already lost one fender flare. I am running an 6" orgs lift with 33's. no problem with out the flares.

I have 4.5 with 33x12.5's, and trimed with the fenders on. You can kinda see in this pic how the front are trimmed. Please ignore the ugly flexy flares, they make it legal! I will be getting the bushwaker cut out flares though, they will open up the space and give me a litle more room to flex.

XJ Fenders Trimmed

XJ2

Anyway, really didnt take a lot of trimming. Now I have ripped those ugly flexy flares - not bad though - while out on the trail, so you may want to trim just a little more then I did!

Have you thought about 33x10.50 instead? I run these under my 4.5 RE lift and was able to retain the stock flares in their orignal locations. Just trimmed a bit of sheet metal under the flares and cut the front flares and quarter panel level with the top of the front bumper.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

I don't have a pic, but a 4-1/2" lift should be plenty with 33's. Just cut the fender a bit like what has been listed from other people and then move your mounting holes up a few inches. In the back cut the fender by making vertical cuts, then pound these over with a hammer, then redrill your mounting holes and mount the fender flares back up. You should be able to stretch the flares out a bit to compensate for your cuts, but you will have to trim your flares a bit up front to be level underneath the headlights/side blinker and also maybe move the whole flare up and have a couple inches not covered on the bottom in the back.
Troy

You didn't mention what backspacing you have or plan to run. That makes a maror difference in fender and flare clearance. You'll have to do some pretty mahor trimming and get creative mounting the stock flares if you want to keep using them.

Here's mine with about 6" extra bumpstop over stock (3" pucks and 3" uppers)in the front. See sign for everything else.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/basalt51/SwampLakePage2004/

EDIT: I have virtually no trimming. just removed any extra material below the mount and the flares.

That's 1 of the best trimming and reusing of the stock flares I've seen Jason, good work. :yelclap: I think people spend more time trying to reuse the 97'+ flares because many times they are painted and worth keeping. I don't run flares and so far the law has been off my back about it and my 91' isn't my dd so it doesn't have to be all pretty. :rolleyes:
Troy

Big Red said:
That's 1 of the best trimming and reusing of the stock flares I've seen Jason, good work. :yelclap: I think people spend more time trying to reuse the 97'+ flares because many times they are painted and worth keeping. I don't run flares and so far the law has been off my back about it and my 91' isn't my dd so it doesn't have to be all pretty. :rolleyes:
Troy
WITCH LINK WAS IT BIG RED? I'D LIKE TO TAKE A PEEK MYSELF.

I"M going to run 4 backspacing with the 33x12.5 Mtrs.. Anybody have any pics on how they trimmed the fenders and kept the stock flares.. Basalt51 yours looks awesome how and where did you cut can you give some details on it.. Thanks for the help guys, also do I need coilspacers, with the kit.

scoobyxj said:
WITCH LINK WAS IT BIG RED? I'D LIKE TO TAKE A PEEK MYSELF.

He's talking about mine, but I didn't "reuse" my stock flares. They're in the stock location. All I did was trim the extra material up to the flare mounting brackets. Then I used a razor to rim the useless lower portion of the flare where it wraps around back towards the vehicle. My rear bumpstops are the BPI quarter panel guards :)

For the best way to do significant trimming and moving the stock flares up look here:

www.ericsxj.com

We're both running about 6" of lift though so you'll have to do even more trimming.

Last edited:
So is 4.5 RE kit enough for 33's or do I need to go with the 5.5RE kit.. I really dont care about trimming as long as it doesnt look like crap you know...

Los11 said:
So is 4.5 RE kit enough for 33's or do I need to go with the 5.5RE kit.. I really dont care about trimming as long as it doesnt look like crap you know...

Yeah, that's do it. Don't be afraid of trimming. Keeping the Center of Gravity low is good and you really don't need to go over 6" tops to clear 33's. You could even start getting into running 35's at that height. I have about 7-8" and running 35" mtrs.

so in the future if I want to go with bigger tires what would i have to add on the the 4.5 kit or is it worth spending the extra cash now and getting the 5.5 re kit. I am not big on alot of lift either but I dont want the tires to looked stuffed either. Do you have any steering problems with that much lift, also what lift do you have?

I trimmed about an inch and a half but to fit bushwackers. I love them. I always remember the mud caking the windshield of my CJ5. Any 12.50 regardless of the backspacing of the rims will be slinging some mud.

but just my thoughts! enjoy. I thing on jeepin.com there is a trimming article too. It's more art than science. Trim a little at a time until you get it. I cut mine with a dremel and it just cost a few more disks.

Back