• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone out there running 5'' of lift on the stock driveshaft?

labdo86

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out what the maximum I can lift is without upgrading to a CV driveshaft just yet. I plan on getting the driveshaft soon, but don't want to worry while I wait. Currently I have a RE 3.5'' with no vibes at all and am looking to move up to 5'' or 5.5''. Picture are great if you've got them too.

I am running 5.5" on my 1994 with a transfer case drop for almost 2 years now, slight vibes at low speeds otherwise very liveable.

i have about 5.5" lift and i have the stock rear d/shaft with an RE extended slip yoke.. its a carbon copy of a stock YJ yoke... i did not install a t/case.. my front u-joint was binding and wouldnt turn thats why i have the RE yoke.. the 5/8" extra length probably helps but i needed it for the additional clearance of a deeper yoke... get a YJ yoke and save a few $$$

mike

I have 7 to 8 inches with just a YJ yoke (and the Toy rear axle has a longer pinion which pushes the slipyoke back into the case). The big difference is my driveshaft is a foot longer than an XJs, so my angles are about the same as an XJ with a 3" lift.

By the way, to update the post, I have a '98. I hear that these already have a longer slip yoke comparable to the YJ's. I hope this is true. Also, supposedly the post'97 XJ's have more vibe problems than earlier models, but I haven't noticed any problems yet. I'm thinking 2'' coil spacers and addaleafs on top of my current RE 3.5'' setup (with the full rear replacements).

I've got about 5 to 51/2" in the rear of my 94. I've got 3" Trail Master lift blocks which are tapered to angel the rear end, then I made a 3/4" transfer case drop out of 1" diameter aluminum. Just got out of the woods and went on the highway to make sure everything was okay and was doing about 135km per hour with very little vibe!!

have a 99 with 3" and no vibes added a bb on top of that and now only very slight vibes at 75

labdo86 said:
I'm thinking 2'' coil spacers and addaleafs on top of my current RE 3.5'' setup (with the full rear replacements).

i dont think the AAL will give the desired effect if you match them with a "lift" pack... that are designed to re-arch the stock leafs that are for all practical purposes essentially "flat"... a lift pack is arched.. if you have the 3.5" pack i would add a 1 1/4" shackle in the rear.. this combination gives me about 5.5" when the rig is unloaded... 5" loaded....

mike

I was a 5" with the stock driveshaft and no t-case drop. I only had a very small viberation at 55mph but then it would go away.

I just got done adding a 2 inch budget boost to my exsisting Skyjacker 3.5 lift, and I also went from 31s to 33s, and was fearing the worst when I took her for a test drive. To my suprise, It did not vibrate at all! I do have the 1" transfer case drop, but no SYE. It actually vibrated really bad before the add on, but two of my tires had slime in them and were way out of balance, so even if I had a slight vibration now I would be happier then before.

im at about 5 inches on my 89, no vibes, just have a t-case drop
had it up to 90 today, no vibes at all. it can be done. but if u have a lot of vibes definitly go with the sye and driveshaft

I have 4.5 lift with a 1" TC drop, and have vibrations at around 55mph. I will be getting the sye and driveshaft soon, but its been about a year and its still fine to run, just viberations at higher speeds.

You guys running 4.5"+ of lift with the stock driveshaft be sure to check for binding as the rear suspension droops. Just cause it doesn't vibe doesn't mean the next time you go over a rail road track and the rear end bounces up your shaft won't bind and explode the back of the t-case.

6 inches...33's...no SYE...I am not running any type of transfer case lowering kit. I shaved my cross member and remounted it raising the transfer case about 3/4 of an inch...slight noticable vibration at 40mph but beyond that nothing yet but I'm sure it won't be long before something wears out....hmmm...what else....no binding with any of the u-joints as far as I can tell..I'm sure Im close though...

Back