• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj rear disc brakes?

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know you can put zj brakes on a 8.25 but cant find any so does anyone have a write up on how you can make them? Or does anyone have some they wanna sell

smallxj said:
I know you can put zj brakes on a 8.25 but cant find any so does anyone have a write up on how you can make them? Or does anyone have some they wanna sell

I think he's asking how to fab up your own caliper brackets !

smallxj said:
Keep looking. You'll turn up some. You can also buy most of the parts new at the dealer. The backing plates and e-brake components aren't too expensive. The calipers can be bought at any parts store. They aren't cheap though. I have a write-up here

Oops.. sorry.. misread your question. But like Ralph mentioned, the parts new aren't really too bad.

Here's something I copied from another post a while back. I'm sorry I didn't keep track of the person that compiled this info...
==========================================
"ZJ Disc Brake Setup:

The disks off of a ZJ Dana 35 will bolt directly up to an 8.25 once the center holes in the caliper mounting bracket and dust shield are enlarged to accept the larger 8.25 axle tubes. Just bend the hard line to meet the flex line for the caliper, adapt the parking brake cable (or buy the custom one from M.O.R.E.) and you're done. Check out the article on MADXJ to see how to adapt the e-brake cables. Again, all the hardware will bolt directly on to the 8.25 once the center holes are enlarged.

More on brakes: After looking the globe over for a D35 axle that a junkyard would part out for the brake hardware, I finally broke down and bought new. None of the junkyards had a D35 for less than 500 and wouldn't remove the caliper knuckle for me. I found a good parts guy to deal with at the local stealership. Told him what I was wanting to do and he helped me look at all the diagrams and such to make sure I was ordering exactly what I needed.
I ordered the caliper knuckle and backing plate for the D35 off a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Now all I have to do is get the rotors and calipers and install it all.

Here ya go. I am still trying to find a good price for the actual calipers. I need to find an old set from the junkyard to use as a core exchange. These are parts to use for the 8.25 axle.

Caliper Knuckle for a D35 (1995 Grand Cherokee):
RH - 4796342 $105
LH - 4796343 $105

Backing Plate:
RH - 4762128 $19.95
LH - 4762129 $19.95

The knuckle will actually bolt to the end of the axles and backing plate is what needs to be ground a little to fit the 8.25 axle.

In addition to this you will need the calipers, pads and rotors. Expect a heavy core charge ($40+) for the calipers."

grab some small gm calipers and cut out a either fab a mount that you can weld to the tube or order one from a race shop. If you wanna get really tricky use Caddy calipers with the POS built in park brake and you are done.

I like the ZJ ones myself but there is no way in hell I'd pay over $100 for it, I'd just as soon order the Tera kit (which is just ZJ stuff anyways) I think DC 4x4 has them for about $300 or something like that.

Back