• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying '94 XJ...rattle question

Poppy360

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, but not new to jeeps. I've owned a '98 TJ for the past 3 years and am now looking into buying a '98 XJ SE. It's a 6 cyl., auto, its got 74K and he's asking $1650. A ball joint needs to be replaced and the rockers are rusting, but that seems to be the only problems.

I test drove it today and it runs beautifully. My only issue was a muffled rattle that was coming from under the shifter/center of dash. It's very noticable when idling while in gear and can be heard (much quieter) while driving and it'll knock once or twice when hitting a bump. The noise stops when I put the jeep into park.

Any ideas on what is may be? I'd like to have an idea before I put my money down for the jeep.

Thanks!!

i have a similar rattle/knocking occasionally in my 99... i attribute it to the exhaust mount that attaches to the crossmember.... gotta hate that Vt rust...

mike

Back