• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need advice from the rear axle experts

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a stock 89 XJ with what I previously identified as a Dana35 rear axle, using the tag and stamps in the casting - "35" stamped in there too. I've read they came with a rubber plug, but mine is a threaded metal one. I've also read where they have 2 seals and a greased bearing, or an outer seal and (I would assume) a lubed bearing from the diff oil. Is it possible to have a metal plug? Is it just a single seal in 89?

Mine is leaking :-( I'll be replacing it in a place where I'll have to have my seal, etc, with me when I start, and finish the job. I have no indications of bearing noise or problems so far as I can tell.

What is the REAL seal configuration, and how can I tell (if it could go 2 ways) which I might have from ID numbers, etc.? In fact, I should verify the 35 too - so any advice on confirming that would help too. I've seen some pretty complex instructions on replacing these, but I'm hoping it's just pull a c-clip, pull the axle, pry the seal out, push another in, and put together ;-)

Can someone give me a quick writeup on ID and how the seal REALLY is, or point me to a site with all the options on it so I can prepare in advance and be ready when I get there?

Thanks in advance.
Skip

There are two different Dana 35 axles under XJs. The early ones were not c-clip axles. Chrysler changed that, and the later ones are c-clip types. You need to determine which you have.

Under an '89, I expect that you have a non c-clip, but it's best to verify. Jack up a rear wheel, remove the rim and pop the brake drum. If the hub flange has an extra hole in it about 5/8" in diameter to allow access to four bolts that secure a bearing retainer -- you have a non c-clip. If there are no holes in the flange except for the five studs, you have a c-clip.

It's likely you have a non-clip axle, and the threaded diff fill plug is normal on early D35's.

Not sure on the seals on a non c-clip, but on a c-clip D35 there's one on each end of the axle housing and the bearings are lubed from the diff gear oil.

Just changed mine the other day on my 88 XJ. Did a rear brake job and noticed it was leaking. Mine was non C-clip and was pretty simple. I decided to replace bearing while I had it out. They are pressed on and have an outer seal that I had parts house press it on. When you have axle out, look into tube and you will see an inner seal. I used slide hammer to pull it. No problem on
mine.......Don

PS...Also, one advantage of the non C-clip is that you don't have to pull the differential cover to get the axle out.

Last edited:
I'll check for that hole. So, if it's non-Cclip, then I'll have 2 seals and a bearing, right? Do I need a slide hammer to pull the axle out too?

If it's C-clip (no hole in the flange) will I have 1 seal and an oil fed bearing?

What's the chance I'll have a ruined axle either way when I pull it on this? I've read a few horror stories while searching. While I'm at it, how does one find a good, trustable machine shop? I used to have 2, and both are out of business now. I sort of keep my eyes open as I travel, but they seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur!

I'm currently in the Marietta area in GA if someone has a place, besides how to pick one.

Thanks.

Well, the hole in the flange test was perfect. It is not a c-clip, and after looking at the possible options, I like this design better than the alternatives. Was even able to press the bearing myself.

Watch out though - after having Autozone give me an almost-right rear TC seal (almost doesn't count in seals) I decided to take the parts in. The 2 seals they list were too large, but might look OK if you didn't have something to compare with. Probably for a Dana 44., although they list that separately. The old seals still had readable numbers, so we crossed them and found the right ones.

They are:
seal 1: 012053 473214
seal 2: 011967 2146
bearing: 693168 set9

This was so much fun, I may do the other side for grins ;-)

Back