• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf springs.

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok , i finally found a set of used springs that are in good shape.. my next step is the 2" RE AAL but i want to get a lil more info for my peice of mind before i just slap it together....
#1.. are the straps that band the bundle together re-usable? i dont think i like that idea...
#2.. it seems that the AAL will ride on top of one of those bands....... i see this as bad... am i correct?
#3.. what will adding the shortest leaf from my old packs to this setup really do for me? will it affect the way the AAL arches the pack? above or below the AAL? or should i add one of the longer ones instead?
#4.. is there any special trick or magic tool to open/ close the bands properly?
#5.. if i add 2 leaves the stock ones dont look big enough for that... whats a good sourse and what onfo might i need to make sure i get the right parts the first time...
#6.. i have new poly bushings too.... i dont have access to a press to remove the old ones... im thinkin a big drift punch , BFH, and plenty of propane heat... think that will cover it?
i think i've used up my alloted space for this week..... but as this project gets rolling i want to do it once... since there will already be countless other issues i cant see yet...
these springs are for my 87....

TIA guys....

Is the RE AAL a half-length or full-length?

The AAL should be "spliced" into your spring pack below the stock leaf that is longer than the AAL and above the stock leaf that is shorter. Most half-length AALs are so short they don't extend to where the bands are, and they don't have to be disturbed. To install a full-length AAL you will have to remove the bands. Unless you plan to scrap an existing leaf, you won't be able to reuse the bands because they aren't long enough. However, you should be able to buy them for a buck or two at a local spring shop.

If you install an AAL plus add one of the leaves from your old spring pack, you will get more lift than the AAL alone can provide. The result will be unpredictable -- the only way to know how much it will get for you is to try it and find out.

thats pretty much what i figured... and its a short-leaf kit.. i'm goin way-low-buck on this one.. thanks aot..

sidriptide said:
thats pretty much what i figured... and its a short-leaf kit.. i'm goin way-low-buck on this one.. thanks aot..

I don't know who makes RE's AAL kits. I had a Rancho shortie AAL kit that I gave to one of the guys in the NAC. It was rated as 2" but it produced closer to 3", and he actually removed the shortest stock leaf to get it to settle in at 2".

thanks eagle.. i think ill just add the new leaf then see what it does from there..

bgcntry72.... read the post man! it's for my '87.. everyone has to kibitz..
have a sparkling day...

I had a short AAL and with 5" shackel and 2* shim (shim sucked)and then added a full length to the pack with a RE 3* shim (good shims w/bolt and milled seat). Nice ride, 5+ inchs, 27" shocks-would tuck the 31's on stock rims all the way in the wheelwell. the best part about the full length AAL is that it helps keep the main from distorting and breaking by the eye as they are prone to do.

Back