• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix?

Nebraska77

NAXJA Forum User
i hear a lot of talk about Renix 4.0. What is that?
I've got a 99 Sport, do i need to know about this Renix business?
Can anyone offer a brief explanation?

Renix is an abomination of the words "Renault" and "Bendix" - the two jokers that are responsible for bringing the Renix-controlled computer to the 4.0L in 87-90 models. You don't have one (and be thankful for that)

Yucca-Man said:
Renix is an abomination of the words "Renault" and "Bendix" - the two jokers that are responsible for bringing the Renix-controlled computer to the 4.0L in 87-90 models. You don't have one (and be thankful for that)

thanks! Now I won't feel as dumb when i read this stuff. :)

The early XJ's were of the Renix design, I think the Renix years were 87-90. In 91 when they released the High Output (HO) model they droped the Renix design. Just like anything they have their good and bad points. Good Luck.

Woody

Yucca-Man said:

It was an amalgamation of the names and an abomination of a system. ;) The only good point was that it used a knock sensor but it's primitive next to today's EFI systems.

Ed in North Ga. said:
Ha!
long live Renix!
easy to work on, easy to fix, and hardly ever breaks...

but when they do.....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
when i first started working on jeeps we had to learn this as well as fix it. i made a quite a bit of $ on these, i wish they could bring it back. its not that bad once learned.

agreed- once you know "how and why" they do what they do, its rather an easy setup- I look under the hood of what comes off the line nowdays, an it gives me shivers. Ya gotta have wires man! Wheres the friggin wires!

I guess the new jeep owners who know their jeeps are in the same boat...they look at all the renix wires, and wonder what all that craps possibly for.

My wife got a new focus- I opened the hood once, closed it-an vowed never to open it again unless its on fire....an that`ll be just to add air to help it along. Strange gizmos uner there...needs an exorcisim. I didnt see anything fixable, except some plastic thing a ma bob that looked like an aircleaner...shoot, it might have been the engine for all I know.

Ed in North Ga. said:
My wife got a new focus- I opened the hood once, closed it-an vowed never to open it again unless its on fire....an that`ll be just to add air to help it along. Strange gizmos uner there...needs an exorcisim. I didnt see anything fixable, except some plastic thing a ma bob that looked like an aircleaner...shoot, it might have been the engine for all I know.

Hee hee...

I haven't yet seen a Chrysler product that scares me... but my '01 VW Jetta (with the Audi 1.8 turbo motor) scared the bejeezus outta me. I ended up getting rid of it after a bout with a failed "clutch pressure sensor".

"A what?"

Yes, the engine-control computer would measure the pressure in the clutch system... so it could decide what you were doing... and modify the drive-by-wire throttle settings to compensate.

Example (the one the dealer gave):

If you suddenly get off the gas pedal... and the clutch is being pressed, the throttle will snap shut immediately. This is done so that the engine RPM's will drop quickly, for easier shifting.

But... If you suddenly get off the gas pedal... and you are NOT pushing the clutch, the throttle plate would close slowly. This helps to minimize the neck-snapping that is sometimes experienced in a manual-transmission car. It basically "delayed" the engine-braking process, and caused it to come on gradually.

I noticed the problem because of the check-engine light initially... but then realized that the RPM's weren't dropping when I shifted... which indeed made it harder to shift quickly and smoothly. After the repair, it was like trying to learn a whole new car again...

I loved to drive that car... the only problem was that too many of the trips were TO THE DEALER! :cool: [The Jetta made four unscheduled dealer stops in 20k miles.... the XJ has only had two stops in 56k!... knock on wood!]

Den

Back