• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF radiator - a little different?

XJ4PLAY

NAXJA Member #1194
I got a new CSF radiator from Dirk at DPG Offroad, great price,delivery time and a nice guy, and it is a little different than the stock and other aftermarket units.

I have a 1996 Cherokee with the 4.0L and an automatic.

The original tranny lines have a metal elbow at the end of the flex/rubber lines that screw into a male fitting in the radiator, at least on the original and GDI 2 row in there now.

The CSF has the top connection the same, but the bottom connection has a permenantly attached elbow with a push on type connection. I am not sure if I can remove the original metal elbow and then install the flex/rubber line over the new attached elbow or not.

Has anyone dealt with this before and can you tell me what the solution was?

Thank you

Last edited:
thiers a metal piece over the end of the tranny line. which lines r u talking about? thiers one that screws into the radiator and one that used a a clip to be held in.

Jeepster4wd said:
thiers a metal piece over the end of the tranny line. which lines r u talking about? thiers one that screws into the radiator and one that used a a clip to be held in.

My original radiator and GDI replacement both had the screw in tranny connections. I either reused the original male fittings or installed new ones.

On the CSF radiator, the lower connection is a permenant elbow with the push on type connection. I think this will work with the original line, after I remove the elbow from it. I should say if I can get the elbow off.
Also I was concerned about the size and shape of the new connection as the space it goes in is quite tight and shape specific.

I wanted to get some input prior to having my Jeep in parts in the driveway and then have to revert back to what I had previously.

Thank you.

On the stock radiator that elbow won't come off. Unless you cut it. It is part of the core for the transmission cooler. It may be different for the CSF though.

Or are you going to remove the eldow from the line itself?

-Chris
XJ4PLAY said:
My original radiator and GDI replacement both had the screw in tranny connections. I either reused the original male fittings or installed new ones.

On the CSF radiator, the lower connection is a permenant elbow with the push on type connection. I think this will work with the original line, after I remove the elbow from it. I should say if I can get the elbow off.
Also I was concerned about the size and shape of the new connection as the space it goes in is quite tight and shape specific.

I wanted to get some input prior to having my Jeep in parts in the driveway and then have to revert back to what I had previously.

Thank you.

That metal tube that comes out of the radiator is for a newer style tube ends. It is a quick connect push in fitting that uses a fuel line quick connect tool (costs about $5) to get it off.

UPDATE

I did the swap today and all went fine.

My concerns about the tranny elbow not fitting were for not. It is perfectly made to fit that area, like the other two. I did not get the original elbow disconnected from the rubber line yet, but I will get the tool for it tomorrow.

As for the rest it went smooth and easy. Everything went right in and lined up perfectly.

Thank you for the replies.

Back