• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is there that big of a diff. between 4.56's and 4.88's on 35's.

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my sit. I have a 99 with 30,000 that i just got done doin a LA kit with 7.5" coils and running 35's etc. etc. I already have a D30 with ARB and 4.56's from a YJ that I just need to swap the guts from and a 8.25 with a no slip and 4.56's sitting in boxes. How big of a diff. would 4.88's make and is it worth say 2-4 hundred more (D44)? Also if anyone out there has either of these setups what RPM's are you running at what highway speed, I have done the calculators but only take them for what they are.
Thankx

if you do the calculators, use .75 as your tranny gear (assuming auto tranny), and put in 34.5 for the tire size (most tires run small) the numbers are pretty accurate.

that said, I have a tired 220k mile '88 motor, newer (.75) AW4 tranny, and the 4.88s are perfect with 33s, I wish I had 5.13s when the 35s are on.

of course yours is a whole different animal with a relatively fresh HO motor. If you get it all cheap, I would just do the 4.56, but 4.88 (or even 5.13) is more ideal. Notice I said "I would", and I'm cheap, if you really want to do it right you should get D44s (or 60 rear) and go with 5.13s.

4.88's with 35's and the AW4 are the perfect combo for me. It works perfect for what I use my rig for.

I'm running 35's on a D30 and a D44, both with ARB's.

DSCN2906.jpg

By the way, this topic has been beat up, raped, then hospitalized only to be raped again later. See here.

PhatXJ said:
4.88's with 35's and the AW4 are the perfect combo for me. It works perfect for what I use my rig for.

I'm running 35's on a D30 and a D44, both with ARB's.

DSCN2906.jpg

By the way, this topic has been beat up, raped, then hospitalized only to be raped again later. See here.

Are we having a slight cooling problem?

Ya I have read a few posts about this but wanted some more idea's. BTW your link dont worky. Im not going to be able to do 5.13's as I dont know enough or have enough muhlah to do a front 44 even though I would really like to because I have a bad feelin I see 37's in my future. My inchitis is flaring damn it.

The old "will it work" question. Do you want someone on here to tell you it's OK?

This has been discussed many, many times. The consensus is that 4.56's are perfect for 32's and OK for 33's, and 4.88's and 5.13's are best for 35's. If you already have the gears and don't want to spend any more money, why bother asking again?

:) :)

4.56 gears with 35s is roughly the same gearing as stock. Your current setup would equate to an XJ with 225s (roughly 27" tall) with 3.52 gear ratio.

Will 4:56 work? Yep. I ran 35's and 3:55's on an 87 auto with 240k on the odo for over a year. Are 4:56's ideal? Nope. Would 5:13 work better? Yep. Hasta

Neil

Goatman said:
The old "will it work" question. Do you want someone on here to tell you it's OK?

This has been discussed many, many times. The consensus is that 4.56's are perfect for 32's and OK for 33's, and 4.88's and 5.13's are best for 35's. If you already have the gears and don't want to spend any more money, why bother asking again?

:) :)

Well its not a will it work question its a is it worth the xtra dough q. I have the cash to do 4.88's but is 0.32's really worth the money and the god only knows how much time to find a complete D44 in the NW for the right $. I dont take a whole lot from calculators as they dont acount for weight etc. Most of the discussions on here about gearing are for those running 31's-33's so i was just curious. Just dont want to be totally dissappointed after spending 1500+. Thankx

4.56-5.89 is perfect. YMMV.

wannabe said:
damn it your scaring me. Hoping 4.56's will do me for a year or two.

Do you daily drive? That is the question. If you do, you may prefer 4.56's.

4.56's are fine with 35's on the highway. I like this combo because it keeps the tranny from "hunting" at around 60 mph, which it did when I had 33's on 4.56 gears. I tend to drive at about 60 mph in the back country because my rig doesn't like to drive much faster at my elevation (7,000 ft). It also hunted at about 45 mph, which sucked because that's a typical around town speed here. I like my 4.56's better onroad with 34x12.5 than I did with 33x10.5.

I'm in Colorado, though, and we suffer from altitude and constant hills, which accentuates this issue...not as big a deal for a flatlander. When I'm in the high country at 8,000 - 12,000 ft elevation I just lock out overdrive and run 60 mph at about 2,800 RPM, which is perfect. If my gears were lower, I'd be forced to run in overdrive or at higher RPM in 3rd gear. Leaving it in overdrive would cause constant hunting between overdrive and 3rd, which it did with the 33's and 4.56's.

I don't have the experience of choosing gears near to sea level, so keep that in mind. At altitude, the auto tranny seems to do best keeping the shifting points near stock (I've run 31's, 32's, and 33's and 34's on 4.56 gears), with a focus on low range reduction for offroad crawl ratio.

4.56's are a little tall offroad. They aren't bad...but you could definitely go deeper. Ideally you'd want a 4:1 case ratio (and maybe 4.3:1) if you plan to run 4.56's in the diffs.

Nay

Beezil said:
exactly.

some people think "cooler is better"

the 4.0 likes hang around 210-215ish.

overheating is 240-260

Yup, exactly. My rig tends to run 'warm' like that, but it NEVER gets in the red.

When that picture was taken, it was 102 Degrees outside on the pavement and I was pulling a hill with a fully loaded Jeep from a weeks long wheelin' trip.

I am completely comfortable with the temp that my rig runs at.

wannabe said:
damn it your scaring me. Hoping 4.56's will do me for a year or two.

The 4.56 will work. I have 4.56 gears with an auto and 35" mtrs and it is a bit sluggish at highway speeds 55-80 mph, but not too bad. I wish I did have 4.88's, but it really isn't worth the $/time to switch from 4.56 to 4.88 with 35's. I would only do it if I swapped out my rev dana 30 for a rev dana 44. Spend the $ on lowering your t-case gearing or a dual t-case setup like a Klune-V you will get much better gearing and options then.
Troy

PhatXJ said:
Yup, exactly. My rig tends to run 'warm' like that, but it NEVER gets in the red.

When that picture was taken, it was 102 Degrees outside on the pavement and I was pulling a hill with a fully loaded Jeep from a weeks long wheelin' trip.

I am completely comfortable with the temp that my rig runs at.

Just remember the engine may be fine, but that strange sick sweet smell. :puke: Then :flame: then :eek:

Back