• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damn cheap Chrysler...

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
So I popped the door panels off the 97 and got really dissapointed as there was no wiring for the power doors and windows. Thankfully the harness swaps over (got the drivers side door one moved so far) but what else am I going to be battling? That harness plugs into another piece which I will have to carry over from the 98 and that in turn plugs into a big fat connector at the drivers kick panel. Does anyone know if there is preexistant wiring coming out of that? or will I have to swap even MORE stuff over?
I realize that I will have to install wiring into each door, but is there anything else I might be missing (yeah I know that I need to check the fuse box too but I didn't get around to it cause I had whole sorts of other things I had to deal with).

You better be documenting this stuff, we will all want to have some nice reference material about whats what and the differences between an SE and a sport, a 97 and a 98, whats missing, whats not, with picturest tooo :D

RichP said:
You better be documenting this stuff, we will all want to have some nice reference material about whats what and the differences between an SE and a sport, a 97 and a 98, whats missing, whats not, with picturest tooo :D

No kidding..when I'm in need of something else to worry about, I check out K's posts to see what can go wrong that I haven't found yet :p G'luck with it!

poomba said:
No kidding..when I'm in need of something else to worry about, I check out K's posts to see what can go wrong that I haven't found yet :p G'luck with it!
Laugh it up guys.... I picked up a 97 figuring that all should be same (ok, most things at least) but it turns out that 97 and 98 use different weatherpack connectors so most items do not swap over between the two! (I mean sensors and such).

I did this with my 2001 SE... I had to swap the main body interior harness as well. You cannout only swap door wiring to get the power stuff going.

oh, I'm not laughing it up, you got your work cut out for you. Personally I would GUT the 97 and then start gutting the 98, compare the pile from the 97, it it's not there then move it over. No way are you going to be able to do this surgery neatly. And I mean really gut it, get it down to where you can replace the A/C evaporator in the heater box kind of gutting while sitting on the floor and not learing how to be a contortionist, then start putting it back together. In the long run it will be much less labor intensive then piece mealing the the project one wire harness at a time. While you have it down that far herculine the interior, sound proof the interior steel panels with that stick on stuff, run wires for a better stereo system, run wires for roof lights, bury a CB antenna cable or two, the whole magilla and build it the way YOU want it. This is not a one or two weekend project but I figure you realize that by now....

RichP said:
oh, I'm not laughing it up, you got your work cut out for you. Personally I would GUT the 97 and then start gutting the 98, compare the pile from the 97, it it's not there then move it over. No way are you going to be able to do this surgery neatly. And I mean really gut it, get it down to where you can replace the A/C evaporator in the heater box kind of gutting while sitting on the floor and not learing how to be a contortionist, then start putting it back together. In the long run it will be much less labor intensive then piece mealing the the project one wire harness at a time. While you have it down that far herculine the interior, sound proof the interior steel panels with that stick on stuff, run wires for a better stereo system, run wires for roof lights, bury a CB antenna cable or two, the whole magilla and build it the way YOU want it. This is not a one or two weekend project but I figure you realize that by now....
LOL But all I want is power door locks and windows! I'm actually keeping the motor in the 97 as it's 35K younger then mine and the 98 motor will be a spare. SO I guess I'm safe on the main harness and the other ones I can move piece by piece.

All the lower interior panels and seats came out. It is basically an "H" style harness that runs along the kick panels and across the middle of the back seat. I paid $350 new from the dealer for this part. It was worth it to me.

OK, I'll agree, power door locks but POWER WINDOWS, what a waste of electricity.... when I was looking for my 98 I had to hunt for an SE w/o all that power BS stuff. I figure my right arm gets it's exercise shifting, left gets it rolling the window up and down. The door locks though have been on my 'long list' of things to do, there are times it would be nice to pop the locks from 30ft away instead of jiggling my keyring in the pouring down rain/snow/sleet/hail/etc. What I would really like to find are a set of the heated outside mirrors thay had on some of them. Then I would not have to put the gallon milk jugs with the cutouts on them XJ in the winter...

Back