• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark Plugs

cdnxj

NAXJA Forum User
So is it another XJ thing where to get the spark plug wires are the hardest thing ever to get off? I just broke my wire puller getting the wires off. I have a big road trip on Tues and I wanted to put NGK V-Power plugs in but I can't get the wires off. Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Marty

'91 XJ 4x4, 2 dr, 5-spd 224,500 km and counting. And a Punisher sticker!

Hmmm, know what you mean, I generally put liberal amounts of dielectric grease on mine when I put them in. But I generally also replace my cap, rotor and plug wires whenever I do plugs, bought every 50-60K...
Don't be too dissapointed with the NGK's, the 2.5l and the 4.0l seems to run it's best with OEM supplied champions...

RichP said:
Hmmm, know what you mean, I generally put liberal amounts of dielectric grease on mine when I put them in. But I generally also replace my cap, rotor and plug wires whenever I do plugs, bought every 50-60K...
Don't be too dissapointed with the NGK's, the 2.5l and the 4.0l seems to run it's best with OEM supplied champions...

Thanks Rich... I'll just keep struggling away! I only got the NGK's, because a buddy of mine who has a '90 XJ said they were great. If they don't work out well I got 'em on sale. Good idea to change the rotor and the wires, any specific wire you use? Or just OEM?

Thanks again!

Marty

The ones on my '96 were on so tight that 5/6 of them took the top of the spark plug off with them. Of course they did have 200,000 miles on them...:D

Done and done... Holy cow were those things on there. I definitely need to replace the wires. Anyway, I did put NGK V-Grooves in and I couldn't help but notice a HUGE difference... Of course the ones that I replaced were Bosch Platinums and I don't really know how I got any spark out of them... Totally corroded. However my idle is smoother and definitely smoother acceleration. We'll see how long that lasts though. I am of course factoring in the psyche thing when replacing stuff.

Does anybody have any preference when replacing spark wires? OEM vs Aftermarket stuff? I just don't want to spend a tonne of money if I don't have to!

Marty

I tried NGK plugs on the Lebaron I used to have, I just replaced them with Bosch Platinum's when they gave out. I'm going to go to the Bosch's when I do the plugs in this truck. We've had some good luck with those in several XJ's, '87 Beauville, and two 2.2l turbo Mopars.

The factory wires, cap and rotor all fit and the wires are already the correct length. You can save a few bucks by getting the High Performance ones from Mopar, I think they are like $10 cheaper than the stock Mopar/Jeep ones. Don't remember if they are 8mm or 10mm wires. I 've just run the stock ones for the last 200,000mi on my 98...
I had a set of NGK plats on my Isuzu trooper that caused some burned valves so I have stayed away from fancy gimmicks...

RichP said:
The factory wires, cap and rotor all fit and the wires are already the correct length. You can save a few bucks by getting the High Performance ones from Mopar, I think they are like $10 cheaper than the stock Mopar/Jeep ones. Don't remember if they are 8mm or 10mm wires. I 've just run the stock ones for the last 200,000mi on my 98...
I had a set of NGK plats on my Isuzu trooper that caused some burned valves so I have stayed away from fancy gimmicks...
I second the high performance wires.

I have to go with the guys who are sold on the Bosch platinums. I have used them all on a vehicle I own that was real tough on plugs (an original Chevy S-10 4 banger that called for copper core AC plugs), and have had very good luck with them, when the copper core AC plugs would quit at about 10,000 miles. The rig was not driveable with brand new V-power plugs, whatever spark voltage waveform the HEI system delivered (the AMC/Renix 4.0 secondary side appears to be of similar design) would not fire those plugs under pressure, and the electrodes just melted off of the Champions. This was, of course, in a rig that had some peculiar issues (the all cast iron 2.0 engine should have been built with a heat shield between the exhaust and the plugs), but it turned me off of the NGKs and the Champions and I'll not likely buy them again for anything. I get a solid 50K out of the Platinums in whatever I put them in. The thin electrode encased in the isulator, as they are, is not a design that inspired a lot of confidence at first glance, but I think the full encasement serves to keep the electrode cool and preserve the correct resistance in the core, at the same time resisting widening of the gap over time.

cdnxj said:
Does anybody have any preference when replacing spark wires? OEM vs Aftermarket stuff? I just don't want to spend a tonne of money if I don't have to!

I'm quite happy with my $12 set of bosch wires. :)

I was thinking about maybe checking out Mopar wires. I was down at Partsource today and they had a deal on Accel wires. I just don't know... Thanks for all the input guys. I'll let you know what I decide to do...

Cheers!

Marty

I use the Accel cap, rotor, and 8mm wires with Bosch platinums. Costs a few dollars more, but I get 50K tune-ups and stock gas milage.

--Matt

Plain vanilla NGKs perform better than any other plug in the Renix 4.0L, at least in my experience. Tried Champions, Bosch platinum (now THERE's a plug to avoid), and Splitfires. The NGKs run best and deliver the best fuel economy.

IMHO the best wires out there are Magna-Core, but they are pricey. The best deal going is the Mopar Performance wires. Caution -- the ones listed for the 91+ 4.0L will NOT work in the Renix models because the coil wire is too short. There is a different part number to fit the Renix years, but it's difficult to find and you may need a friendly parts guy to come up with it. (If I had it I'd post it, but I can't find the box my set came in.)

I tried the plain jane NGK's and they were a waste on that car, no performance what so ever, I even lost power compaired to the old Bosch platinums I took out and I was also told they were better than the Bosch Platinums. Tried a Autolite Dual platinums on that car too, those worked well but they gave up in less than a year. I'm planning on the Mopar Performance Parts 7.5mm wires for the truck I have now, I had good luck with those on the ZJ I had a few years ago and their 8mm wires on the turbo cars till those had been disco'ed by Mopar. I think Dad got about 80K or so out of the Bosch's he had in his 90 Laredo

Well so far so good... I was on the highway today, and the NGK V-Powers seem pretty good. I definitely have better acceleration, and smoother idle. I let my buddy drive, he's got an Eagle Talon AWD Turbo, and he noticed a big difference in my truck. Although if you guys could see the Bosch Platinums that came out of the truck then you'd know why. I think I'm gonna try the Mopar Hi-Perf wires, good price and a couple of guys I talked to around here have done the same and noticed a difference. Have to change the cap and rotor as well.

Cheers!

Marty

Stupid question time....did you get the high performance Mopar wires from the dealer or from a parts store? My local dealer said all he carries are the standard wires.

thanks!

Black & Tan said:
Stupid question time....did you get the high performance Mopar wires from the dealer or from a parts store? My local dealer said all he carries are the standard wires.

thanks!
It's a dealer item and they have to look at hte printed catalog that mopar accessories prints out(it's called something like Mopar parts or Mopar high performance) and there they can look up the extra goodies :D

Back