• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Up Lights Don't work

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have done some searching on this and other areas trying to find out information on the back up lights.

I have also checked the main fuse panel and tested the lights on my 1990 MJ I6 with a 5 spd.

I understand there may be a second inline fuse under the dash.

Any details or sugestions would be appreciated!!

Could be the reverse switch on the side of the tranny. Test the wires at the tranny with it in reverse, key on (jeep not running). If it's bad, you can replace the tranny switch or install a manual switch.

He is correct, I just replaced one on my Dodge Ram. To test it use a multi meter and be sure the wire going INTO, not the one going to the reverse lights, has power. If it does in fact have power the switch is bad, power going in but not coming out.

another way to test it, and actually a little easier is to unplug the plug into the switch, and simply run a direct wire between the two contacts in the wire side of the plug. With the jeep in reverse and key on of corse, if the back up lights come on, it is the switch, if not it is something else. Good Luck

Back