• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrically locking 1-2 gear

XTrmXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching for a while now and Im still at a loss for the write up on this item... I have found talk of the torque coverter lock and stuff but nothing refers to the 98 and newer models with the auto tranny... Ive looked at GO-Jeeps site and I dont remember seeing anything, also same with big-offroad... I remember hearing talk awhile ago that with a switch you can transfer electrical power to the #1 or #2 silenoid or both at the same time and prevent the shifting to 2nd gear and using 1st gear to its full power when in 4 wheeldrive for crawl .. If anyone has the full write up or knows of a site please post it...

My 93 has some issues with the 1-2 selection. sometimes when I put it it 1-2 at speeds above 25mph, it will go immediatley into 1st gear. sometimes it will stay in drive and not even downshift to second. other times it will immediately downshift to 2nd and when it hits about 25mph it goes to 1st. (normal operation). I have replaced the neutral safety switch to try to cure this problem. What inputs does the TCM use to make the decision to shift? can I test some wires on the harness to see if the TCM is not getting some of the inputs that it needs?

sorry for stealing the thread
Jeff

Seems like I read that doing the 1-2 mod on the later trannies could cause damage. Make sure and read everything before trying it. LOL>

i have my AW4 fully manually shifted, and have setup a few other people with the same thing, so I've been through the electronics fairly well. my understanding is that in 96 or 97 the XJs got a new computer system (OBDII) that prevents these kinds of mods to be made without messing up other stuff. It has been something people have been trying to figure out for a while, and I still haven't seen a solution, so I'm going to assume there isn't one.

Back