• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this transmission mount?

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I think I figured out where my vibrations and thud noises are coming from. I did a search, and I think it may be my transmission mount is bad. I can hear and feel a thud when turning or going over bumps. I feel the thud under my feet where the transfer case is. I crawled under today and I could move the transmission/transfer case up and side to side. I could do it with my hands if I pushed hard enough. Rubber looked ok, but it seemed a little brittle. Does a bad transmission mount present these problems? I have 2000, 4.0, automatic, with the 231 transfer case. 1 3/4" spacer in front and a full aal in rear with a 1" transfer case drop. 61,000 miles. I looked at the exhaust where it runs next to the crossmember but I didn't see where it was hitting anywhere.

Thanks

check the bushing thats is mounted underneath to the floor board for the 4wd linkage. sometimes the brass bushing inside wears and can cause knocking noises underneath, especially on the drivers side.

While the transmission mount should keep the tranny from moving, it is not a hard mount. If you can move it more than about .125" then you mount is probably hosed. If it is, make sure and check the motor mounts as well. When one goes, the other is rarely far behind.

Yeah as suggested do all 3 at the same time cause if you replace on the others will kill the replacement soon.

Btw, I recommend using the OEM one (From the dealer) as it's slightly slanted/shaped to work with the angles. I ran one I got from Kragen (about half price) for a while (pre SYE days) and it gave me big vibe problems and then I got one from the dealer and it worked perfect (one side is taller then the other on it). Unfortunately not too long after I grew a bit in the rear and then the fix was no longer as inexpensive as the "expensive" mount.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at all of them. I was thinking that you probably shouldnt be able to move the transmission that much with your hands. If I use a crowbar then I can move it at least an inch or more. The 1" drop cured all my vibration problems so I will probably stick with it. The full aal in the rear raised it up much more than I was expecting, so when it breaks in a little more I may try a .5" drop.

Thanks,
Ryan

hmmm, Ive been trying to diagnose a 50mph vibe on my rig. it is a strong shaking vibe that happens once every 1-2 seconds and does not make a noise, it occurs at 50mph+. I can move my tcase up and down a good 1/4" easily by hand. could this be my problem, a bad trans mount bushing?

how much is the dealer gonna cahrge me (under $70 i hope)

Back