• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

under hood light

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I had to use the under-hood light last night. When I got it, it came out and retracted nicely. So, when I needed it, I pulled out the light and some line. Now it won't retract! It makes the ratchet sound, but feels like something is binding and it's not free enough to wheel back in.

Is there an easy way to make it work again? It doesn't look very openable.

Thanks.

If what the shop foreman at my dealership told me is correct, you have just discovered why the factory changed to a non-extending underhood lamp.

skipc said:
I had to use the under-hood light last night. When I got it, it came out and retracted nicely. So, when I needed it, I pulled out the light and some line. Now it won't retract! It makes the ratchet sound, but feels like something is binding and it's not free enough to wheel back in.

Is there an easy way to make it work again? It doesn't look very openable.

Thanks.

Dude, I spent 4 fawking hours trying to fix mine. I drilled out the rivets, cleaned all of the old grease out, and started to re-assemble it, and it wasn't retracting right. You have to get the spring( like 20 feet long) wrapped the right number of times. It started to grenade on me, and I threw it in the trash can and stuck an extra flashlight in my heap. It will drive you up the damn wall.

Give it a try, and when you're done and frustrated with it, get one of these:
Produit_Image_463.jpg

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesPr...uick+Search&Langue=en&Gamme=&Critere=32&News=

Our very own Ladywolf's album even has a picture of her using a larger version while wrenching on a Blackhawk...they're killer and I can't believe I ever camped, hiked, or worked on Jeep at night without one...

I like that underhood light. The LED visor lights are nice, but the best feature of the Hobbs light is you never have to rummage through your gear looking for it. It does get mucked up and complain about retracting sometimes, I usually just have to untwist the twists in the cord and it'll go back in again.

Hobbs makes an almost identical light for the aftermarket, it has a manual on-off switch instead of a mercury switch, and it also has a hand crank to reel in the cord. Our shop mounts one in each side of the utility boxes on our service trucks. The mechanics love them. They have bright halogen floodlights to illuminate their work, but they are not handy to lug around as they look for items in their toolboxes, etc. They can stick the little magnetic lights wherever they need them and they light up the tool compartments very well. John Deere dealers carry them under the part number TY16054.

Thanks for all the good info. While I will be trying to fix it sometime soon (maybe adding the crank instead fo the spring), I looked at the Petzl and its competitors and fell in love with the Tikka+. Lots of good places I can use that!

Thanks.

You guys know what's wrong with those lights don't you????? Look real close on who made them. It says Ford Motor Company in the plastic.

old_man said:
You guys know what's wrong with those lights don't you????? Look real close on who made them. It says Ford Motor Company in the plastic.
You have got to be kidding me?

get one off of a late '80's early '90's chevy/gmc pickup both of mine ('88 GMC and '91 Chevy half tons) have hand crank retractable lights under the hood along with a fixed one that turns on when the hood is opened.

Sephrion said:
get one off of a late '80's early '90's chevy/gmc pickup both of mine ('88 GMC and '91 Chevy half tons) have hand crank retractable lights under the hood along with a fixed one that turns on when the hood is opened.

I ganked the one out of my susburban before I sold it. I Havent installed it yet, but on the back it has a magnet so it will stick to a metal surface wile you are working. can;t decide what Jeep to put it on.

Or install rock-lights that may solve the under Jeep problem.

Sephrion said:
I've got the same set up on my XJ. Picked up the retractable GM light for $5 at the junkyard. It has a manual on/off, hand crank retract and a magnetic mount attached to the corded light.

You might try a liberal blast of WD40, followed by a patient tugging of the line a couple hundred times. That has been known to free it up (known by me, for whom it worked exactly once before I threw it in the aforementioned trash can)

Yup those are the exact lights Ford uses. The Hobbs light to which I referred upthread is also the same except for the manual switch and hand crank, I suspect those are what you find on the GM rigs. Brand new ones retail for about 20 bucks.

Dave in Eugene said:
I like that underhood light. The LED visor lights are nice, but the best feature of the Hobbs light is you never have to rummage through your gear looking for it. It does get mucked up and complain about retracting sometimes, I usually just have to untwist the twists in the cord and it'll go back in again.

Hobbs makes an almost identical light for the aftermarket, it has a manual on-off switch instead of a mercury switch, and it also has a hand crank to reel in the cord. Our shop mounts one in each side of the utility boxes on our service trucks. The mechanics love them. They have bright halogen floodlights to illuminate their work, but they are not handy to lug around as they look for items in their toolboxes, etc. They can stick the little magnetic lights wherever they need them and they light up the tool compartments very well. John Deere dealers carry them under the part number TY16054.

I know it's an old post....

Where is the 'Hobbs' manufacturer? I cannot find a light like you describe, let alone even a website!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Back