• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

years to stay away from...

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a buddy who just wrecked his Explorer (hydroplaned going 20 MPH and it rolled) and is looking into getting another SUV- i'm obviously trying to bring him over to the Cherokee side, but have had a few issues in doing so- namely his mother. SHe wants him to have dual airbags in the jeep, which pretty much knocks out most of the older cherokees, so what I'd like to know is this: are there any year cherokees to stay away from? It'll pretty much be a stock DD for a while (until i can convince him to start wheeling it :D ). I also wouldn't recommend him getting the 4banger either, but other than that, options are open. We both live in VA, so also, if you know of anything for sale around here that fits the bill, let me know! :cheers:

Years to avoid: 1984 thru 1986 with the 2.8L V-6 engine.

Sigle airbag was used in 95 and 96

Dual airbags were used from 97 on.

sweet- thanks for the help! i still wish i could get him to go with an older XJ, but it seems his mother has laid down the law about the airbags...

I don't see what the problem is...once he puts on a winch and front bumper, he'll just plow through whatever's in front of him! :looney:

Back