• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I remove the front drive shaft on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I wnat to remove the front drive shaft on my 90 xj so I can get to the lubrication points on the front and rear universals on the drive shaft.

Do I simply remove the bolts that hold the front U joint to the yoke on the front differential, and the pull the driveshaft out, and then when I'm done put it back by reversing the process.

you're partly right.. there is also a yoke on the rear-most u-joint on the CV joint.. it's basically the same as the other end but there are no "straps" to remove, there is a yoke/girdle that will remain in the cv as you remove it from the t/case output... just in case you didnt know, there is a "ball kinda joint thing" inside the cv joint that needs lubrication.. (no i do not know its proper name) you will see what i mean when you look at it.. you will need a special "needle" adapter to get grease into the tiny fitting inside the cv.. and don't overlook the slip-yoke in the middle of the shaft too....

mike

You don't need to remove the drive shaft to lube the joints, you just need the right adapters for your grease gun. You can find them at NAPA.

I can't get my adapter over the zerk on the front U, no matter what rotation,
and I can't figure out where to lubriacte the CV joint or how to get to it. Is there a narrower adapter than the standard end. I asked at my local NAPA and they didn't seem to have one.

The middle zerk was easy.

Are there any zerks in the rear cv joint, and how can you find where to putthe needle.

Back