• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'91 XJ Power seats are dead: please help

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I DID search, but could not find an appropriate thread.
Today I found out that both my power seats are dead, I don't know since when, but can't be very long. Until very recently, they both worked fine.

They both seem to get voltage, though. There's a red and black wire coming from underneath the carpeting, leading to the seats. I disconnected the connector and measured the voltage, being 12.2 V, so I assume that the electrical power is o.k. I checked both seats.

What could be the cause of both seats giving up? I hope that there is a common cause.

Thanks in advance,
André

Last edited:
Headache said:
Hi guys, I DID search, but could not find an appropriate thread.
Today I found out that both my power seats are dead, I don't know since when, but can't be very long. Until very recently, they both worked fine.

They both seem to get voltage, though. There's a red and black wire coming from underneath the carpeting, leading to the seats. I disconnected the connector and measured the voltage, being 12.2 V, so I assume that the electrical power is o.k. I checked both seats.

What could be the cause of both seats giving up? I hope that there is a common cause.

Thanks in advance,
André
did you put direct power to either seat? if they still don't work, your power track is fried...

red91inWA said:
How's the part supply over there?

Parts supply through the dealer network is o.k.: they can order anything and deliver it within a few days at the most. Non oem parts however are not so easy to get. And, in addition, parts may be more expensive: e.g. for a o2 sensor I paid some USD 140...

Well, I found out the probable cause. Underneath the floormats at the driver's side, it was soaking wet (probably cause bu driving through a large puddle at high speed, a week or so ago). This probably caused a minor short circuit in the power wiring to the seats.

I solved the problem by by-passing the power wire with a new wire to the driver's seat and connect it there to both the driver's seat ánd the original power wire. Now both seats are functioning again.

Back