• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock bolt and leafspring center pin sizes?

HEX-J

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to install my 2 inch budget boost to my XJ that already has a 3.5 inch lift, and even though I've been spraying down the bolts the last few days I'm expecting some bolt carnage. What size and thread pattern are the shock bolts? Should I buy nuts and fish them through instead of re-tapping? I might pick up some extras before the install so I'm ready to go incase they break. I also have to add the 1/2 spacer to my leafpack and my centerpin isn't long enough, does anyone know the thread pattern of the pin so I can get a longer one? Any help would be apreciated.

Not sure on the shock bolts. I think they are 10mm but I don't remember (or never paid attention to) the thread pitch.

Thread pitch won't matter if you're buying new center pins for the springs. The OEM are 5/16". Other choice from spring shops is 3/8", which fits some aftermarket spring packs.

Thanks for the help. I've got the spring eye out of the stock shackle, but can't get the bolt to pull out of the top of the shackle? Is this a common problem? Any remedy?

Lots and lots of PB Blaster. If you have an air impact gun (chisel, not rotating) with a blunt-nose tip, try whacking it with that AFTER soaking it for a couple/few days. Last resort is heat, but remember you're next to the gas tank.

I'm pretty sure its broke loose, it feels like the bushing is keeping it from sliding out. The upper bolt threads into a nut thats welded on the unibody, I'm assuming? It turns freely, just feels like its in a bind?

HEX-J said:
I'm pretty sure its broke loose, it feels like the bushing is keeping it from sliding out. The upper bolt threads into a nut thats welded on the unibody, I'm assuming? It turns freely, just feels like its in a bind?

Same problem I had with the bolt on the front of the leafs. Sounds like the metal shim inside the bushing is rusted to the bolt. I ended up using a SawzAll to cut the bolt to drop my leafs.

Goodluck..

Good information.

Back