• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Wiring

JKooshTJ

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has the towing package from the factory. 1988 XJ Pioneer, auto, 6-cylinder etc.. The only problem is that there are 7 wires and no connector. I'd just like to know what each one of the 7 wires hanging off the back of my XJ are for. (ie. brakes, power etc) Some of the colors are solid black, grey with a tracer, blue etc) If you guys know it would save me a bunch of time today trying to figure it out. Thanks!

I did a Google search and found this on the first site found:

# Wire Color Function Location - Truck socket Location Trailer plug
1 White Ground 7:00 o'clock 5:00 o'clock
2 Blue Brakes 5:00 o'clock 7:00 o'clock
3 Green Running 10:00 o'clock 2:00 o'clock
4 Black Power 2:00 o'clock 10:00 o'clock
5 Red LT & Stop 9:00 o'clock 3:00 o'clock
6 Brown RT & Stop 3:00 o'clock 9:00 o'clock
7 Yellow Aux or BU Center Center

Does this look right?

BLU taillight / BRN T (T=Tracer/stripe) back-up light /GRY T left turn /BRN right turn /RED fused Batt. /BLU T Elect brakes /BLK Stop light.

There are some differences, on occasion.

Wouldn't there be a ground wire? And trailers (at least over here) have combined stop & turn lights, so the black stop light wire wouldn't be necessary.

I wish I remebered the details of when I installed mine....

I have an '89 that has the amber turn signals as well as the red headlights and brake lights. If I recall correctly, I needed an adapter (installed in the panel behind the spare tire) because of the amber turn signal feature.

Does that make any sense???

Jay in MA

I picked up one of the most elusive parts for a Cherokee. I got the factory relay based trailer light adapter. It inserts in the wiring and makes it so your trailer won't effect your blinkers, even if they have a short. It is similar in function to the electronic adapters, but more robust.

I´m guessing if he has the factory towing pakage, he has a relay block for the lights.
Correction, I said the BLK is stop lights, WRONG, black in automotive is most always a ground. The black wire goes to the ground at the stop light relay.
I´m guessing the seven wires and no connector he is refering to, is the wiring for the trailer plug, that is usually wraped in a plastic bag and stuck up behind the bumper.
There are some different wiring schemes, Export and trailer hook-ups where the turn signal, running lights and stop lights are seperate lights or dual function bulbs.

I managed to get a 4 plug to work for my trailer. I had to choose though whether I wanted turn signals or brake lights. I chose brake lights. So on the trailer I have running lights and brake lights. It seems that on the 88XJ the wiring for the running lights is in one wire loom, and the wiring for the brakes and turn signals is in another. I still have it to where I can get the wiring diagram down. I'll post in here what wires I used etc. ASAP. Thanks everyone for the help. I'd also like to have some turn signals if anyone has any idea how to get that to work.

I also found out that the previous owner didn't know squat about Jeeps. I had an amber bulb in a brake socket, a small bulb in the opposite side brake socket, no bulbs in the smaller side brake light sockets, a busted socket for the reverse lamp, and a dual filiment bulb in the turn signal. WTF? This has really been an adventure from the start.

Back