• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad/loose flexplate symptoms?

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
I've read through a number of posts about flexplate noise and the majority of type noises seem to be clunking or clattering noises and usually at idle.

I have been encountering a noise that sounds like a nail rolling around in a coffee can. Not a loud noise but annoying. Happens during acceleration (not usually during idle) and is intermittent. Seems to be more prevalent in morning and goes away when I've been driving around a bit.

I thought it was my mechanical fan/clutch rubbing against my radiator or fan shroud. I've looked and there is no damage to the radiator and plenty of clearance away from the fan clutch.

Also. Have noticed this possibly related problem on occasion. When starting the vehicle there is a very loud thunk with no start. But it usually starts right up with the second try though. The flexplate and starter are related, correct?

Thanks for any input.

A bad flexplate does not sound like a nail in a can, it sounds more like the rapping of a bad rod bearing. It's a distinct banging sound. Also, it goes away in gear when there's load on the torque converter. You hear it at idle in neutral, but you would not hear it when accelerating.

A flexplate can crack, usually in a circle just outside of the crankshaft bolt flange. That'll tend to make a noise as you describe under load. Pull the inspection cover and look all around it through the gap on both sides. Some brake cleaner and a bright light will help find a crack, but before you clean look for some rusty looking streaks radiating from the center (a telltale sign of metal pieces moving in relation to one another). A failed drive plate can make you cry. :bawl:

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm gonna get underneath there in the next few days and have a look.

It's funny how my truck runs perfectly but when I drive it back from the state emissions station a million things go wrong with it.

Are you sure it isn't a bad case of ping?

Back