• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32" tires with stock brakes?

xj2k

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched a bit, can't find an answer, and need to fix this soon. Should my 00 XJ with 32" tires be having a problem stopping? I can't lock up the tires even if I step on the pedal as hard as I can. Also, the brakes heat up and start to fade rather quickly. I have brand new pads and rotors. The calipers are in great condition too? What can I do to fix this? Could it possibly be a bad set of pads??

Thanks!

The OEM tire size is far smaller and lighter than a 32" tire, so you're going to notice a difference in stopping ability.
I use Powerstop rotors and Carbon Metallic pads. They are an improvement over my original parts when it comes to fade, but they can only do so much without other changes to the braking system.
Is your brake system properly bled? What condition is the brake fluid?

Ron

Also make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted. The rear brakes on XJ's are terrible about staying adjusted. That is one of the main reasons I switched to rear disks.

Dumb question.....do you have ABS? That would prevent you from locking them up and they might actually run a little hotter if used repeatedly.

As mentioned, XJ brakes have always been on the marginal side. I run 32's on mine and they do weigh quite a bit more than the stock 27/28 inch tire. This extra weight does have an impact on stopping distance.

no, I do not have abs, brake fluid is all new. I installed braided lines with the lift kit, all new pads/rotors/drums/shoes, replaced the fluid and properly bled (many times to be sure this wasn't the problem). I understand stopping distance would be less but I would think it should sill be possible to lock up the tires if I stomped on the pedal. I think it's the pads so I'll have to try a se of more expensive pads and see if I can stop any better. If not then I guess a brake upgrade would be in order.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would seriously check your braking system. Possibly try gravity bleeding the brakes, or there may be an issue with the brake lines? Did the MC get dry when bleeding previously? Was there a significant change after installing the new lines?

We have a '98 with 32s and a '99 with 31s, both non-ABS. They will easily lock up the tires if your press on the brakes hard enough. We have Autozone Carbon Fiber lifetime pads about $35.

Last edited:
It seems like I saw a post about installing larger discs, maybe from a ZJ, on the front, but it required 16" wheels. Anybody know about doing that?

Robert

I noticed a fair difference when i went up to 33s on my 98, but could still lock them up, even with older brakes. i'm swapping in a ford 8.8 with discs, so i'm hoping this will remedy the problem.

I've tried several things with my 92 (32's)

I upgraded my master/booster to a dual diaphragm (like all 96+) and it was a world of difference (but you already have a dual diaphragm)

Adjusting the rear drum brakes helped a lot too

but the best was going to an 8.8 w/ discs....that, combined with the upgraded booster means that I can now stop better than my wife's 99 stratus w/ 4 wheel discs

Back