• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock rails.. rock rails... rock rails... what to do?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK.... while building the new XJ I am thinking what to do with rocker panel protection.
Option 1: cut out rocker panels and put square tubing in
Option 2: use my current rock rails and just move them up so they tuck in against the floorboards and rocker panel and cut and fold pinch seem where needed and bolt the rest to some metal rewelded between legs (my current rails have 4 legs on them).
Option 3: bolt the ORGS rails that I inherited with the jeep: they are brand new and they are one of the last sets made when ORGS mfg was still ORGS mfg.

1 sounds like a lot of work. I think I kind of like it but again a lot of work. 2 sounds very tempting as my rockrails HELD and it was just that the mounting against the frame rail loosened up (one bolt bent and one got slightly pulled in and frame rail squeezed). Option 3 I'm unsure of: I hear great things about ORGS mfg rails but only 2 legs to mount it? Has anyone experienced any movement or problems due to that with them???
Btw I will be putting 3x3 angle iron, probably 3/16" thick on the frame rail along the whole length to reinforce it and to protect it on the bottom and to use it as a mount for the rock rails (whichever option I end up going with).

I would go for #1. I myself am going with rails of my own design that tuck up nice and tight to the existing sheetmetal and mount to the same angle solution you are planning. But I am still going through Jeep puberty...I want to keep most of my sheetmetal intact for now. When I grow out of this stage, I will head for your #1.

-ich

Remi, I doubt you will have any problems with any of Mark's products. He may be a loser, but his products are top-notch :D

Ary

Bolt/weld on the ORGS Supernerfs. You won't be dissapointed.
As far as option #1 goes, I say don't do it unless you're adding additional support. Some people say they'll hold up just being welded to the sheet metal but I seriously doubt it. Just because you hit it hard once doesn't mean it will hold up, try hitting it 1000 times.

Jes

Replacing the rocker panels with tubing is the best way to go. I ran a beautiful set of very strong rocker guards but they cut down on my ground clearance and kept whacking on the rocks. They protected the rockers from the majority of the damage but not all. I've since replaced the sheetmetal rockers with tubing.

Can't tell you if they withstand the punishment of thousands of whackings because since I've installed them and went from 31s to 33s, I've only hit them on rocks twice- both times on purpose to see how well they'd work. If you're going to be constantly testing their mettle (bit of a pun there..) or using them as jacking points, they should be beefed up with supports to the subframe/pinch welds to reduce flexing- same as if you had the bolt on sliders

ChuckD said:
I vote for number 3.
All righty then... Looks like I'll try #3 first :D And since it's the least amount of work I'll not be too terribly dissapointed if they don't work out too good cause I'll not have too much time invested :D

ChuckD said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you'll end up paying for body damage.

I agree. Now if you were to add those and incorporate them into the mounting of rock rails, I think you would have a fairly indestructible package

BornAgainXJer said:
Have you ever heard of RockRatz? Check this out Doesn't cost you any clearance and very easy to install. I haven't personally seen this but I am more then likely getting a set.
If that is what I think it is: 3/16" angle iron formed to match the curvature of the body then it's just a waste of money. The first time you come down hard on it it will bend and reform your rocker panel and probably pinch your door shut.

Kejtar said:
If that is what I think it is: 3/16" angle iron formed to match the curvature of the body then it's just a waste of money. The first time you come down hard on it it will bend and reform your rocker panel and probably pinch your door shut.

Agreed.

ORGS Supernerfs. Except no substitute!!! Just make sure they are installed correctly, & they will take a beating, & continue to ask for more.

Rob

Go with your Super Nerfs.

The nerfs also help protect the door somewhat by extending outward, replacing the rocker with tubing will not.

Just leave them off until you dent them good, then it will be easier to decide to cut them out and put in box tubing. That's how I did it :doh:

Kejtar said:

I disagree. Those would have come in handy to protect my rockers from my Rocky-Road rockrails this weekend :doh:

basalt51 said:
I disagree. Those would have come in handy to protect my rockers from my Rocky-Road rockrails this weekend :doh:

What happened to you rock rails Jason? I was seriously thinking of getting those. I like like that they claim they have been used in professional comp by the 2 guys out there with xj's.
Remi: I have the ORGS style rails that Crash made & I bought and installed them with his friend Sean. They are very nice and they have taken a beaten on the Con. I just srayed them with some gloss black spray paint and they look good again. It looks like the ORGS style with the dual bar design is plenty stout. You have 5 pinch seam mounts & 2 main mounts to the sub-frame.

Back