• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing fluid in the 8.25

scoobyxj said:
my 8.25 has a plug without any kind of drive or nut on it dose it just pry out if not how is it removed?
Pop the cover off and drain that way and then push it out from inside cause if yours was never changed it might have hardened and it might get ripped when pulled like that.

just curious what fluid you will be using on the change. I am considering changing to Royal Purple. any thoughts?

Jeepfreek

00 XJ 4.5" rubicon superflex, 33 12.50 mtrs, next to come lockers and 4.56's

jjepfreek said:
just curious what fluid you will be using on the change. I am considering changing to Royal Purple. any thoughts?

Jeepfreek

00 XJ 4.5" rubicon superflex, 33 12.50 mtrs, next to come lockers and 4.56's

Think both about fluid and weight and price. I like to use not as expensive of a fluid so that I don't feel bad changing it too often (few water crossings or long trips on highway @ high speed). Anyways I ran in my 8.25 and now my d44 the valvoline synth blend 85 140. Also if you have the limited slip DO NOT FORGET TO BUY THE ADDITIVE AT THE DEALERSHIP

Keep in mind what Kejtar said, if you have a limited slip do NOT run synthetic, my auburn manual was very specific about that and I put the additive in too.
If you really let it drain, like go have lunch or something, fill it to the correct level and then go out and drive it for 5 miles or so than come back and check it again. When I had my LSD put in the lube had drained out of the axle tubes fully. Result was after the drive the lube was distrubuted out the axle tubes, it took a couple of more pints...

how do you determine limited slip again? I think I have it on my 8.25... about 80% sure. I punched the skinny pedal and both rear wheels peel out a bit on a sandy road. Mine just turned 52,000 miles is it time to change the fluid?
:viking:

dogtired said:
how do you determine limited slip again? I think I have it on my 8.25... about 80% sure. I punched the skinny pedal and both rear wheels peel out a bit on a sandy road. Mine just turned 52,000 miles is it time to change the fluid?
:viking:

To test for LSD: Jack up one wheel, and put the transmission in NEUTRAL. Attempt to turn the raised wheel by hand. If it will rotate, you have a traditional (open) rear end. If it will NOT, you have LSD.

AZ Jeff said:
To test for LSD: Jack up one wheel, and put the transmission in NEUTRAL. Attempt to turn the raised wheel by hand. If it will rotate, you have a traditional (open) rear end. If it will NOT, you have LSD.
Supplement to that - jack up both wheels with teh tranny in gear; turn one wheel. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, it's open. If they both spin the same way, it's a locker of limited-slip.

RichP said:
Keep in mind what Kejtar said, if you have a limited slip do NOT run synthetic, my auburn manual was very specific about that and I put the additive in too.

Umm, my 95 came from the factory with a LSD and towing package with sythetic in the rearend. At least the factory LS has no problem with synthetic. DO run the additive with a LSD.

Back