• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing a Jeep Question

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I'll probably end up towing the Jeep to Colorado instead of driving it. My question is - once I put the T case in neutral I should be able to tow it with two or four wheels on the ground WITHOUT ANY DAMAGE right???

Thanks

Depends on the t-case, and I'll tell you up front that I don't know for sure what is required for each. Your owner's manual will tell, or you can pull the driveshafts and not have to worry about burning anything up.

At least on an NP231, there is no problem and you don't necessarily need to drop the shafts if you feel confident that your tcase will stay in neutral. The oil pump is driven off the rear shaft.

I've flat-towed my 242 equipped XJ at least 15k miles, no problems, per the owner's manual directions - t-case in neutral, trans in park.

Thanks John,
You and I have pretty much the same set up ('92, auto, 242). Sorry - I forgot the owner's manual had this info. :doh:

Minor detail.....remember to put the key in and turn it to on so the steering column isn't locked. I take a bungie cord to the steering wheel and tie it off so that it stays centered pretty much. This is where you find out if you have any caster or not. If you rotated your pinion too much, you can end up with a vehicle that simply will not track behind your tow rig.

I may be towing my rig as well. Its either that or tow a tent trailer. Haven't made up my mind yet.

skipc said:
Quote:
t-case in neutral, trans in park.

In park?? Wouldn't neutral/neutral be better? What if the TC happened to drop out of neutral? If the trans was in N, at least it wouldn't do immediate damage.
The manual specified transfer case in neutral, transmission in park.

How's it going to "happen to drop out of neutral"? It's the same transfer case you drive every day, are you worried that it might happen to drop out of 2WD?

I wouldn't normally worry about it, but if you look a few posts up it could make you wonder....

Quote:
Re: Towing a Jeep Question
At least on an NP231, there is no problem and you don't necessarily need to drop the shafts if you feel confident that your tcase will stay in neutral. The oil pump is driven off the rear shaft.

We've towed our 95' with the 231 for over 40,000 miles...It will never drop out of neutral, we've towed it down bumpy paths, dirt roads, through the woods (well, as woodsy as you can get with a 35' diesel pusher) My jeep has been in every state in the continental US, and parts of Canada. If you feel the need, pull the shafts- but as far as i'm concerned, there's no need.

skipc said:
Quote:
t-case in neutral, trans in park.

In park?? Wouldn't neutral/neutral be better? What if the TC happened to drop out of neutral? If the trans was in N, at least it wouldn't do immediate damage.

Only guessing here why the manual says to leave it in park, but it could be the probability of some spinning of the tranny output shaft, if it's in neutral, which would not be good for the tranny since it's oiled off of the front pump.

Back