• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Positively IDing an 8.25 spline count?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
I've got what seems to be a late-96 XJ, formerly with an 8.25 rear. from what I understand, that could be a 27 or 29 spline, but don't know either way for sure. Now that I've pulled the axle I'd like to sell it but need to know for sure what the spline count is. There are a few places I can remove bolts, etc but without knowing the 'right' way I would rather not tear it apart right now.

What is the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to determine the spline count?

Yucca-Man said:
I've got what seems to be a late-96 XJ, formerly with an 8.25 rear. from what I understand, that could be a 27 or 29 spline, but don't know either way for sure. Now that I've pulled the axle I'd like to sell it but need to know for sure what the spline count is. There are a few places I can remove bolts, etc but without knowing the 'right' way I would rather not tear it apart right now.

What is the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to determine the spline count?
Pop the cover, remove one cclip and pull the shaft and count the splines :D

That must be what I'm doing wrong, because teh quick inspect I did didn't show any easy way to get at the c-clip. I'll look again when I go back there next weekend. Thanks.

Yucca-Man said:
That must be what I'm doing wrong, because teh quick inspect I did didn't show any easy way to get at the c-clip. I'll look again when I go back there next weekend. Thanks.
What you do is push the axle shaft in and it will go towards the center and then you can pull the cclip out. the pull the shaft out. Installation is done in reverse order.

Jim-

Are you looking to sell your 8.25? Is it 3.55?

p.s.

If you run 41's in back you should be OK :D

Steve

Yes, I'm selling the 8.25 but want to be able to tell potential buyers what it is. It's got 3.55s and open carrier (just like my front still does). 41s would require rigging up some sort of ladder for my kiddos to access the Jeep; ain't happening anytime soon. :D

Just go with 41's in back...no need to regear. You'll get that cool hot-rod look, and the kids can get in the front doors, then scramble into the back :D

Steve

Back