• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to install rear drive shaft so it lines up correctly with differential yoke

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
My rear U joint broke, the rear drive shaft fell out, and I now need to put it back. I'm having problems getting it to go all the way in and to line it up in the correct angle so I can attach it to the rear differential yoke.

Obviously it has to be at the exact angle so the U joint will fit into the yoke.

Whats the best way to get it back in at the correct angle.

Because it fell out rather than was taken out, it isn't marked.

I'm thinking of jacking up the rear and turning the wheels to get the yoke angle to match the drive shaft.

Any better ideas?

I just did the u-joints on my rear d-shaft this past weekend. I put blocks behind the rear wheels, dropped the T-case in N which allowed me to turn the driveshaft and line up the u-joint with the yoke. A lot easier than jacking it up. Juice

Yup, same as juice. Block it, drop it in 'N' and spin the output by hand to tighten up the qty=4 bolts and Nylock nuts holding mine at the upper end, same for the lower.

Back