• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny swap questions

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
'90 XJ with an AX-15.lots of shifting problems lately. as an upgrade I hear you can directly bolt in an NV3550. at the same time I would go external slave for the clutch. is there a particular bellhousing that will bolt right in ( with no mods) that has a spot for the CPS and all the clutch fork parts ready to go?

The swap is fairly easy. Just did it in my 87' to replace the Peugot. It is mostly bolt in. Used a tranny, bellhousing, and slave cylinder from a 2000 TJ Wrangler. CPS mount is in the correct location, just use your stock CPS and flywheel. Stock clutch should work fine as the clutch I used was for a 91-99 AX-15 application. You can use your stock clutch master cylinder if you use the TJ steel braided line kit from Advance Adapters. It includes the fittings to mate the stock master with the TJ slave cylinder. You may have to change the pilot bushing if the AX-15 has a smaller pilot shaft diameter like the Peugot. If so, use a bushing from a 73-75 cj5 with a 304. It fits perfectly. The t-case mounting holes are in a slightly different position which rotates the case up toward the body, however there was enough clearance so no mods are required to the floorboard. Had to fab a bracket to mount on the tranny for the t-case bellcrank linkage, but not sure if you can reuse the AX-15 bracket. If not, it's real easy to make. I can send some pics if interested.

pls provide the pic's since i just went from ba10 to ax15 and the tranny support bracket is not setup correctly this would provide some idea.
just a little additional info
Here is the details swapped ba10 out for ax15
needs
would like to use current crossmember setup without additional modification to the frame/crossmember
options
take existing tranny support bracket(ba10) and align the holes to that of the ax15 hole pattern.
question
does anyone know of, anyone performing this operation which allows for an easier tranny swap

I just used a stock AX-15 mount plate and mount. It bolted right up to the 3550. The mount will bolt to the stock crossmember but moves it back about 4". There is second set of holes already in the unibody that the crossmember will line up with. They likely need to be tapped, 10mm x 1.50, if I remember correctly. Everything fit perfectly with no mods, including the exhaust hanger. The $15 I paid for the mount at a junkyard was worth not having to fab anything.... Shoot me your email and I'll send pics.

Gasman said:
I just used a stock AX-15 mount plate and mount. It bolted right up to the 3550. The mount will bolt to the stock crossmember but moves it back about 4". There is second set of holes already in the unibody that the crossmember will line up with. They likely need to be tapped, 10mm x 1.50, if I remember correctly. Everything fit perfectly with no mods, including the exhaust hanger. The $15 I paid for the mount at a junkyard was worth not having to fab anything.... Shoot me your email and I'll send pics.
If you still have the pics please send the to [email protected]
Thanks

Back