• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Commute Trouble

xjblue

NAXJA Member #496
NAXJA Member
Luckily problems didn't start till I hit the offramp and the old 87 MJ coasts pretty good. The engine started to loose power, stumble, and finally stall despite my attempts at nursing it with the gas pedal (I could only prolong the inevitable). Then I would let it coast and get it re started, It would rev strong for a moment but after I got back up to running for a few moments it would repeat the process getting worse each cycle. I may or may not have a chiltons or hayes behind the benchseat so descriptions of where things are on this 87 2.5 tbi are helpful. Any ideas?

Pull the vac line off the EGR and plug it to see if helps any. I had the same problem in mine, and it ended up being the vac soleniod for the EGR.
HTH,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, ACE was telling me to try the same thing. I'll go out during a break to see if I can ID the EGR and vac line....

ACE showed me the EGR - We disconnected the vac line and tried it out around the parking lot, it still tried to cut out on me just the same way and stalled a couple of times. Doesn't look like I'll make it home. We didn't have anything to plug the vac line with. We did find a melted connecter, but couldn't find where it goes, It's 2 wires have a braided protective cover and come off the harness over the intake along with 2 other sets of wires one of wich goes to the "choke thingy" (or idle controller?) the throttle rests against at idle, anyone know what this could be. any other ideas?

Last edited:
Well after work I got the vac line plugged but couldn't get it to stay running longer than 3 sec except for one 30 sec try. I looked over the whole engine finding the occasional wire with a broken connection or no appearant place to plug it in. Nothing appeared to be newly fried or out of place and the vacume lines appeared in order. Then it dawned on me what it might be. I asked my Father if the symptoms could be due to a fuel challenged condition in the gas tank and he confirmed the symptoms could very well indicate such a condition.
:eek: :anon: :dunce: :doh: :looser: and the obligatory :wstupid:
so a full tank later and it purrs like a kitten...
Just need to fix the fuel gauge...
or buy gas once in a while...

xjblue said:
due to a fuel challenged condition in the gas tank ...

That's classic LOL! Glad you got it "fixed" :)
Jeff

another line of thinking is ur catilitic convertor might be clogged. loss of power and wont run right.

Back