• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yanking out transmissions: suggestions?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, I will have to yank 2 transmissions: 1 ax15 from a 98 and 1 aw4 from a 97 and then stick the ax15 into the 97. The question on my mind is how to get it out from underneath as I think that the transmission jacks are slightly on the bigger side? (taller?) One jeep will have about 4.5" of lift and the other one close to it.
Oh yeah.. taking it to a shop with a lift is kind of not an option as one jeep is trashed and unmoveable.

Thanks

You could use the jack to get the trans off the engine, then drop it off the jack and slide it out from the side (??) Biggest pain is the bellhousing clearing the rockers..try pulling the tailend out first, then tilting it upwards from the rear. Can you get the front up on ramps?

Tip #1....set the ramps "backwards", as if you backed up onto them. Otherwise, they'll be in the way (learned the hard way on that one....)
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Tip #1....set the ramps "backwards", as if you backed up onto them. Otherwise, they'll be in the way (learned the hard way on that one....)
Jeff
Ahhh good tip, thanks. I'd probably find that out the hard way too late in the game :D

I'd bet that 4.5 inches is close to enough without ramps or jacking provided you bring the tranny out on the ground and not on a jack. If you have ramps available, it should be a piece of cake. Since I dont have a tranny jack, I have always just dropped the tranny on a big piece of cardboard, and that makes it a bunch easier to slide out. I also protects the transmission and garage floor/driveway.

Travis

Zebaru said:
I'd bet that 4.5 inches is close to enough without ramps or jacking provided you bring the tranny out on the ground and not on a jack. If you have ramps available, it should be a piece of cake. Since I dont have a tranny jack, I have always just dropped the tranny on a big piece of cardboard, and that makes it a bunch easier to slide out. I also protects the transmission and garage floor/driveway.

Travis
How did you drop it onto the cardboard? any aprticular process? cause I think it's too have to hold it and lower it by hand unlike the tcase which I was able to just carry out from underneath before.

I just finished pulling mine yesterday, and I didn't have enough jacks to jack the entire vehicle so I just used 2 floor jacks to support the tranny+t-case then when it was all unbolted, dropped the rear one and let the end of the t-case come down carefully. then i put the other jack on the front axle and lifted it high enough to drag it out from under the jeep. Then just pull the thing back as you let the jack on it down. when it falls on the ground, drag it out.

Blair Williams said:
I just finished pulling mine yesterday, and I didn't have enough jacks to jack the entire vehicle so I just used 2 floor jacks to support the tranny+t-case then when it was all unbolted, dropped the rear one and let the end of the t-case come down carefully. then i put the other jack on the front axle and lifted it high enough to drag it out from under the jeep. Then just pull the thing back as you let the jack on it down. when it falls on the ground, drag it out.
Hmmm I'm worried about breaking something that way.. but it might be the only way to do it.

I d*mn near lopped off a finger by dropping an AX5 on it pulling one out from the junkyard by myself..I guarantee if it was an AW4 I'd be missing that digit now. You "should" be able to wrestle the -15 out with another pair of hands to help you, but I definately would suggest the tranny jack for the auto. Once it's off the engine and supported on the jack, then you can roll it off onto the ground..either a piece of cardboard or an old section of carpeting, then pull it out from under.

Kejtar said:
How did you drop it onto the cardboard? any aprticular process? cause I think it's too have to hold it and lower it by hand unlike the tcase which I was able to just carry out from underneath before.

Honestly I just use a good ol' floor jack and my two hands. I have dropped several tranmissions using this technique including the pugeot in the jeep (with the x-case attached), and a monster of a T-18 from my old ford truck that seems like it weighed a hundred pounds more. I dont know about the weight on an AX-15 without the transfer case, but I pulled and reinstalled an empty T-5 in a trans-am without a jack at all -- and I'm not a big guy.

Of course, a transmission jack would be much easier and probably alot safer as well. If you have the tools I would definitely use them. Hell, If I had a transmission jack I would have used it -- I'm just cheap.

Travis

Zebaru said:
Of course, a transmission jack would be much easier and probably alot safer as well. If you have the tools I would definitely use them.
I don't mind buying a semi decenlty priced transmision jack or renting one but if it turns out unusable or impractical?

Tall jack stands, and a $49.99 tranny jack from Harbor Freight Tools.

Eagle said:
Tall jack stands, and a $49.99 tranny jack from Harbor Freight Tools.
Well looking at it from the other end I don't know if I like the idea of being under the rig sitting on TALL jack stands... I know it looks like I'm getting picky but I'm searching for the best and safest way to do it.

Does autozone rent trans jacks? I have rented spring compressers and pullers and stuff like that from them. I know they have engine hoists and chains and other good stuff like that and the best part you get ALL of your money back when you return it, so all you really have to pay is a deposit.

Back