• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25-D44 swap

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
Well I just finished my lift (7.5" coils) on my 99 two weeks ago and was planning on getting gears done in the next week or two. I already have a no slip and 4.56's for the rear but I found a D44 with 4.88's for not much more. As it sits now I need to add 3/4-1.5" to rear to level it. My question is will I have any issues with my drive line when I add the extra lift to rear and add the D44. Im not sure if I will have pinion depth issues or other issues that would necessitate a new drive shaft. Also what are differences between the two ebrake cables if any. Thankx

The pinion on the D44 is just over an inch longer, so you MAY have a driveshaft length issue. The only way to tell is to bolt it up and see how far the slip yoke is out.
Before you remove the 8.25, disassemble the brakes and unhook the e-brake cables from the backing plates. The cables will fit into the plates on the D44 just fine. In other words, leave the cables bolted to the XJ framerail.
Other than that, have fun. It's a pretty easy swap. Fergie and I installed mine in about an hour, but I had the 8.25 already out. That's a one-man job if you have a few floor jacks.
If you need any tips, let me know...

Being that you say the D44 is about an inch longer Im thinking that the DS would be just fine with adding the 3/4 to 1.5" blocks to make the rear match the front, right? Am i missing sumptin. thankx

wannabe said:
adding the 3/4 to 1.5" blocks

blocks = bad idea in a long run.... with 4.88's I feel slight axle wrap with just the re springs. When you put the blocks on there... you'll kill the leaf pack in no time!

I was planning on using a piece of flat solid stock for the block and drilling it out to run a new center pin all the way thru. I thought about AAL's but dont they stiffen up the springs, if they arent bad should I be looking at full lenght or short. I havent done any searching on them yet not sure what the better AAL would be. thankx

I'm sitting at about 5.5in of lift in the rear w/ 3.5in RE packs and a 1.75in shackle and approx 300lbs of bumper hangin off the back....

This is how much play I've got in the yoke after I did my D35-44 swap....

I've been wheelin 3 times and have had 0 problems with it getting too close.....but my DS probably could stand to be shortened at least a 1/2".

Slipyokeplay.jpg

BillR said:
The pinion on the D44 is just over an inch longer, so you MAY have a driveshaft length issue. The only way to tell is to bolt it up and see how far the slip yoke is out.
The D44 pinion depth is about 5/8" to 3/4" longer than a D35, it isn't significantly longer than a Mopar 8.25. The D44 and 8.25 use the same driveshaft. The D35 uses a driveshaft that's 5/8" longer than an 8.25.

You will need new U-bolts as the 8.25 has a 3" diam axle tube and the D44 has a 2.3/4" tube.
When we did the 8.25/D44 swap the Driveshaft extended about a fingers width.
Wayne

Eagle said:
The D44 pinion depth is about 5/8" to 3/4" longer than a D35, it isn't significantly longer than a Mopar 8.25. The D44 and 8.25 use the same driveshaft. The D35 uses a driveshaft that's 5/8" longer than an 8.25.

The XJ I recently bought has RE 5.5 in packs with 3/4 in. longer shackles with a D35 and stock shaft....I'm guestimating that there is about 1.5 inches or so exposed at the slip (oh yea, the pinion angle is corrected with 6* shims) which I thought was a little much.....but, swaping in the D44 I bought today push the slip back in the right amount? I guess it doesn't matter too much, as I'm probably going SYE soon.

Justin

The thing that Im worried about is the fact that even after I do the swap Im going to need to add about an inch more lift. Thats my concern with the DS. O and of course at the lift im at i have a SYE. thankx

BajaCherokee92 said:
You can always have your driveshaft shortened.....

Locally here its about $75 to have it done....
If anything he'd be lengthening it and IMHO it's worth it to upgrade to the D44: no bottom lip, stronger shafts and NO CCLIP and lets not forget the deeper gears.

Back