• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1984 pioneer questions

soa88yj258

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the rundown I got a 1984 pioneer w/240k for free because the previous owner could not get it too run and it sat for over a year, it took about 10 min to figure out the aftermarket coil was bad replace it with one out of my wrangler and it fired right up! I am going to turn it into a trail beater buddy for my wrangler :) but I have a few questions..

Here is what I know:
it is a 2 door 4x4 I4 w/4spd manual trans the build date on this jeep was nov of 83
d30 front
d35 rear
webber carb
3" front procomp coils and lower ca's rear stock springs but I have a set of short aals and 2" blocks that I will throw on with a front 2" coil spacer
some other weird info the fuse block is completly melted (no fuses either!) in the cab but the power windows and all of the lights work LOL

Questions I have
what trans? I have heard either a t4 or ax4 how do I tell and is one better
what type of upgrades can i do to a np207
did 84 4cly come with 4.10 gears or 3.73's

Also here is what I have done so far: cut the fenders to fit my set of 34's which fit well even flexed out but I have not pulled the sway bars yet... and tunned up the carb (the jeep runs great just needs a new exaust system since it is missing every thing from before the cat back.

Steve

You don't say if it is a 2.5L 4 banger or a 2.8L V6. The weber must be an aftermarket swap. The stock 2.5L came with a Carter YFA computer controlled carb.

The NP207 isn't quite as strong as a NP231. You can swap in a NP231, but the mounting for the front driveshaft is different and the length of the NP231 case is about an inch different. Can't remember if it is shorter or longer, but a search should turn that up.

If it is a 4 speed it is an AX-4 if a 5 speed it is an AX-5.

Back