• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do you remove the yoke from the rear diff (dana 35) on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I may need to replace the yoke from the rear diff, because it got chipped when my rear U joint broke.

If I do need to replace it-- how do you get it off of the rear differential, and how do you put a new one back on.

There is a "right" way to do it and the way most people do it. Most just use an impact wrench to pull the pinion nut and put the new yoke and tighten it back down.

I guess I'm a bit more picky. I put the axle on stands and remove the wheels. I measure the rotational torque it takes to turn the pinion. I then take the nut off with an impact. While I have it appart, I put in an new pinion seal. I then put on the new yoke and use a new pinion nut (definately recommended). I then keep torquing down the pinion nut until the rotational torque required to turn the whole pinion is 3 inch pounds higher than the original measurement. This is the FSM recommended proceedure in a nutshell.

Given the correct tools, it is a 30 minute proceedure.

Back