• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Friggin rattles

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Went in to NJ yesterday to the liberty science center and ellis island. Used local roads around jersey city and newark. Holy crap, the condition of the roads was horrible and the XJ made more noise than it does crawling over rocks and the worse trails I have evern been on. How long do bushings last generally and is there anything that can be used to lube and extend their life. Are there any complete kits [not neophrene either] of replacment bushings, figure I can spend a weekend replacing them at least on the LCA's and UCA's anyway, maybe the sway bar too. And here I thought PA roads were bad....

RichP said:
Went in to NJ yesterday to the liberty science center and ellis island. Used local roads around jersey city and newark. Holy crap, the condition of the roads was horrible and the XJ made more noise than it does crawling over rocks and the worse trails I have evern been on. How long do bushings last generally and is there anything that can be used to lube and extend their life. Are there any complete kits [not neophrene either] of replacment bushings, figure I can spend a weekend replacing them at least on the LCA's and UCA's anyway, maybe the sway bar too. And here I thought PA roads were bad....

On my XJ (RIP) which was primarily drive in CA before I reached 140K I had to replace pretty much every bushing: my CA bushings looked really bad but then I ended up buying new ones so that took care of that. On my axle the UCA went bad at about 130K and that had to be replaced (PITA with the drivers one: it's way easier if you pull the axle which isn't that hard). On the sway bar I Finally replaced the bushing and it turned out to be the cause of the clunk that I have been trying to track down for over 6 months (funky thing is that the clunk existed wether the swaybar was connected or not which made me disregard the swaybar before).

Anyways get to it and get them done.

Back