• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump

brbailey

NAXJA Forum User
'97 Cherokee with 4.0. Started spurterring, missing and "check engine" light came on. Computer said it had a lean fuel mixture. Just had fuel pressure checked and it read 49 lbs. Mechanic said it should read 72 pounds and he is "almost sure" I need to replace the fuel pump. Does this sound reasonable? Any other ideas? I had the oxygen sensor replaced last week.

72 pounds seems high to me. But I guess it could spike at that. I don't know. I am working on my own fuel delivery problem myself. I will let you know what the fix is when I find it.

Time to see if the Mechanic can spell BBB...

this is from "autozone.com" and matches my memory pretty closely (I was thinking 45):

For your 1997 JEEP CHEROKEE 4WD:

SPECIFICATION 44-54 PSI(POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH)

POSITION THE IGNITION SWITCH AND THE A/C SYSTEM IN THE OFF POSITION. INSTALL A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO THE VEHICLES FUEL RAIL OR FUEL PRESSURE TEST PORT. CONFIRM THAT NO LEAKS ARE PRESENT, AND VISUALLY VERIFY THE PSI READING ON THE GAUGE WITH THE IGNITION IN THE ON POSITION.

70+psi may be a test with the return crimped (if you had one)

Thanks for the information. Could a clogged fuel filter be causing the "check engine" light to come on? Last week I had an oxygen sensor replaced after the "check engine" came on and the computer code indicated a bad sensor. Now the computer says it is a lean fuel mixture.

On your 97 there is NO replaceable fuel filter.It is internal and part of the fuel pump assembly.
Wayne

The fix of my fuel problem was the bulk-head connector. The big one with all the wires going through it. I just rewired around it for a fix.

Back