• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.4 vs 5.8 cordless phones

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I need a new round of cordless phones for the factory....

we currently use 900hz, but our bar code readers (used for work orders and payroll) are being updated to a wireless system that operates on the 900hz band, and supposedly, the various 900hz phones we have in the shop, I was told will mess with this system.......

so, was wondering if the new 5.8's are worth considering?

range is important, I need one person to be able to talk to another person at either corners of the building, and also, signal penetration throughout the shop. as some of you know, we're talking about a steel manufacturing facility, so there a lot of signal-sucking departments.....the 900's seem to do a descent job, the gang has gotten used to the known "dead zones" in the building......

can someone in-da-know help me understand a bit more about 2.4 and 5.8 bands????

also, any favorite brands?

Doesn't the same logic about axles apply to phones? You know, a Dana 70 is twice as strong as a Dana 35, so that leads me to believe that a 5.8 would be twice as powerful as a 2.8.... <snicker>

I wanna give you a bunch of familiar sounding bilge, like: 'well, 5.8 is a bigger number than 2.4, so thats where my money goes.'
You know if it wasn't your post, you would have said it.
:next:

higher frequency will ussually have better penetration at lower power, so also battery should last longer..... Personally though I am happy with my 2.4GHz and I ussually try to stay away from all the NEWEST stuff as it always has bugs that need to be worked out...

now to add on the same note as others did..... you know what's the difference between using a 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz? It's the same difference as holding your head half way in or all the way inside of the microwave while its on :) :)

Kejtar

beezil give me a call and i can hook ya up with a sweet deal.
i always knew working for a telecomunications company would pay off for someone one of these days.;)

cheers,

jj

630-860-8282

I bought a 900mhz EnGenius not to long ago while looking for a cordless with maximum range. This phone was built specifically for long range and it kicks butt on any cordless phone I've ever seen, regardless of frequency. We're trying it out for a security guard use at a power plant. This is a sprawling complex with metal beams, metal walls, boilers, etc all over the place. I have yet to find an area where this phone won't work. Inside, outside, out past the coal piles, it doesn't matter. Range is well past 1/2 to 3/4 mile, even with buildings and high voltage power lines in the way.

It works well because it has more power than the average phone rather than going to a higher frequency. With more power, battery life is down a bit, but it is still an awsome phone.

www.engeniustech.com

Doh!

Guess I shoulda paid more attention to your original post...

If 900mhz fries your brain, then 2.8ghz will do it 31.1% faster! and dont let me get started with 5.8!! That baby will have you oozing gray matter out your ears 64.4% faster than a whimy 900mhz phone...your noggin will be sizzlin like a super sized box of "Freedom" Fries!

XJguy

If you are using 80211B wireless networks, you need to find out what freq they are on. Also make sure that your neighbor are not using a bunch of wireless stuff. So in short 5.8 is great untill everyone starts to use it.

Faux, I'll have to check if this wireless bar code reader device is "80211b".....

neigbors shouldn't be a concern, since we loose range in the corners inside our own building anyway (its 107,000 sq feet)

whddya know about these types of wireless devices and their interaction with cordless phones on the same band?

I am not sure what freq 80211b is, but they were talking about wireless networks on tech tv the other day, and I think they were saying the freq of the wireless devices was higher than most phones out. But now that the phones are 5.8 there might be more interfierence issues in the future. I think your phone should be ok, I think it is just more critical for wireless data transfer. You might want to try try techtv.com they might have more info on the subject. My friend had a 2.4 back before everyone had one, but now I don't think his reception is as good as it was befor. He used to be able to use his phone at my house and it is almost a block away. So like I was saying 5.8 will be the best untill everyone is using it.

we tried the "early" 2.4 phones.....some say that most of those early ones weren't ACTUALLY 2.4....whatever, don't know nuttin about no phones..........the 900hz phones WERE MUCH BETTER.......

all I know is, I can't use 900's, so its either go 2.4 and hope they improved them, or go 5.8 and hope that whatever makes them tick, is better than 2.4's.......

well IIRC the old 2.4GHz phones where 900 in one direction 2.4 in the other.....
I got a 2.4 GHz phone which is made for AT&T by Lucent (Or whatever their current name is) and I can go down the block with it :)

Also if you have a PBX (phone switch) there are add on products that allow you to interface some cell phones with it so while on premises your cell also doubles as your cordless phone... for more details check with your telcom vendor/supplier

Kejtar

Back