• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions on frames under unibody

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
as I look at beefing up the unibody rails I am hit with the question. Why not just use a frame bolted and welded to the unibody? Say like a K5 blazer frame or maybe a tube chassie under the unibody any opinions or comments?
DIG IT!

BUCKYXJ said:
as I look at beefing up the unibody rails I am hit with the question. Why not just use a frame bolted and welded to the unibody? Say like a K5 blazer frame or maybe a tube chassie under the unibody any opinions or comments?
DIG IT!
Why bolt a frame? why not c channel frame rails and then cross brace them? I figure that'd be WAY lighter then a blazer frame... cause if you wanna do a blazer frame I'd say unbolt cherokee top and throw it onto the frame but you'll gain pounds out of that deal.

I can't remember who makes them, but I've read about some supports that are being made for XJs that I believe mount to your lower control arm bolts on the front and to the front leaf spring mounts and also have to be welded on in a few areas. They are supposed to add alot of strength to the Unibody as well as improve performance.

HEX-J said:
I can't remember who makes them, but I've read about some supports that are being made for XJs that I believe mount to your lower control arm bolts on the front and to the front leaf spring mounts and also have to be welded on in a few areas. They are supposed to add alot of strength to the Unibody as well as improve performance.

i think thats a currie product labeled a "chassis stiffener"

thats great guys (except Kejtar) but that aint gonna keep my suspension from ripping the unibody rails apart.

yeah my bad... the Currie Ent. products are called "frame strenghtners" connects at the lower control arm frame bracket and to the front hanger for the rear leaf springs

Anybody have any experience with these frame stiffeners? To me an XJ body is a use it a couple of years and get another proposition. You aren't wheeling it hard enough until the roof starts to crack and you can't keep bondo on the sides.

BUCKYXJ said:
thats great guys (except Kejtar) but that aint gonna keep my suspension from ripping the unibody rails apart.

SOmething I just remembered: pm crok as IIRC he built a ladder frame of sorts for his rig and I know that at one point or another there were pictures posted of it.

correct me if I am wrong... didn't they (Chrysler) redesigned and strengthened the XJ unibody a certain percentage for the later models? 96 or 97 and up? I thought I remembered that from somewhere. Besides the T&J is meant for 96 or earlier. I guess anything will strengthen the unibody including front back hitches and or aftermarket bumpers. :clap:

:viking:

Last edited:
BrettM said:
plate the "frame rails" with angle or channel and put a cage on the inside.

or get an MJ :D

Thats it no groceries for you on the trail... :twak:
also cage is already in the works.

Here's one option, i've been working on. torch out the unibody rail and replaced it with 3x3 box and a two 2x4 box crosmembers. Also to stiffen up the rig even more we cut out the rocker panels and welded in rock sliders made from 2x2 and 2x4. These were welded right into the A and B pillars.
The rock sliders and frame rails are tied together with gusseted 2x2 box. You can check out the pics at http://www.rockcontrol.com/ZJ/index.html . Hope this is what you were looking for.

Brian

Last edited:
Back