• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooling lines in and out?

Joe

NAXJA Member #887
I am going to install a external tranny cooler and need to know with is the return line from the radiator to the tranny. I will be running the tranny to radiator then to the extrenal cooler then back to the tranny. The Jeep is an 1994 Jeep XJ with an AW4 tranny. Any info that can help would be great thanks in advance.

And you are under the inpression this really matters why?

In and out does not matter and regardless of which cooler it hits first you are goign to see a temp decrease.

FWIW, do nto overdo the cooler on a A/T. Fluid that is not watm enough can be harmfull as well.

I just got finished putting an external cooler and remote spin-on filter on my 88... John B has it ...the upper is the feed and the lower is the return.

For a cooler by itself, it won't matter - just splice it in and route the hoses out of harms way. If you are doing a filter along with, it matters.

FWIW I also divorced the ATF from the radiator...hoping the 7" x 21" x 1.5" 4-pass cooler is enough.

notorious DUG said:

I meant with an aux spin-on filter in circuit with the cooler... not a replacement in-pan crud screen.

it may not matter even then :dunno: I'm a newbie to these automatic things.

Woody

Some/most filters have a built in pressure bypass, probably wouldn´t be smart to run the flow against the bypass.
I´ve had my external oil cooler hooked up, with and without the radiator cooler. Possible divorcing it from the radiator, could marginally help with cooling. But have had late shifts, with the divorced cooler, in winter (or even cool weather). Hooked it back up to the radiator, to help with warm up (seems to works best at or near 160-180 pan temp.). Much above 220/240 and the oil changes color. Found a VDO screw in (in the drain hole) sender that is in it´s, third XJ. Tranny overheats, I take a coffee break.
In another forum, to kill an arguement, I tested Dexron, through a viscosity tester (tin can with a hole) at various temperatures, viscosity doubles at fairly mild temps.
Most heat exchangers work from top to bottom. Though Chev, often runs the tranny cooler, from bottom to top, for whatever reason.
High speed or hard duty, a tranny temp. gauge seems wise. Most of the auto tranny failures I´ve seen, other than out and out serious abuse (shifting into reverse at 30 MPH). Have been from high temps. (the innards turn black and dark blue). Foaming oil, from high RPM´s and/or heat, doesn´t cool or lubricate, nearly as well.
Learned about auto tranny´s and heat the hard way, autobahn takes it´s toll. Mud pits, will also heat them up quick.

notorious DUG said:

If your installing a filter (spin on) the reason would be to keep debris out of the coolers, i.e. you do loose a trans. if the filter (spin on) is on the line exiting the trans. it'll keep the debris out of the cooler thus saving the expense & trouble of buying & installing a new cooler..... if not.....$$$.
As to the cooler why? I guess it depends on you location and how you use your XJ, I wish I could get a bigger/better designed cooler then what I already have. As for me it's midnight, 90+ degrees and the A/C just kicked on outside the window....should be around 110 degrees tomorrow.. YEAH ! :(

Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Back