• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the hell is with these D30 axle shafts and why don't I have them?

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was helping a buddie with a '95 wrangler install gears and got to noticing as we was pulling the shafts out the inner axles are splined on both ends. So if you break a ujoint then bust the ears off instead of replacing the whole shaft you just replace the yolk (I guess that is what it is called.) Anyway he has the vaccume disco like mine and everything I was just curious if anyone else had this. I will be junkyarding this weekend to find some.
DIG IT!

You mean the outer-inner axle yoke comes off the shaft on splines? That is a new one to me, but OTOH only messed with an 89 XJ disco before.

woody said:
You mean the outer-inner axle yoke comes off the shaft on splines? That is a new one to me, but OTOH only messed with an 89 XJ disco before.
Yup exactly, just like the CTMs are made.

BUCKYXJ said:
Yup exactly, just like the CTMs are made.

??? the first thing you said has nothing to do with CTM's, they make u-joints, not axles (except for mogs). Explain more. I thought I knew what you were talking about until you said this. _nicko_

gearwhine said:
??? the first thing you said has nothing to do with CTM's, they make u-joints, not axles (except for mogs). Explain more. I thought I knew what you were talking about until you said this. _nicko_

August '04 Four Wheeler magazine pg# 50 D60 and D44 heavy-duty front and rear axle shafts made by CTM. "All CTM axleshafts are double splined and utilize a removable yoke."

This was the last pic I saw that I could remember that looked similar. But his came with the general set up stock.

What good does it do to find one at a junk yard if you can only find one then you will have to buy a whole new shaft. The only way this would really work out is if you could find a good supply of them.

I would look for others before buying them I am also trying to find a source for them but havn't found any info on the net for them.

I used to run YJ shafts in my front axle and they were the same way. Splined on both ends so the outer yoke could technically be removed. I tried to find a supply of the yokes from spicer to no avail.

I got a non-disco D30 from the local "Pick-a-Part" out of a 93 XJ that has innear axles like that. The yokes are splined to the shafts, but, they were only 260 u-joints so I replaced them with TJ 297 axles. I'll look at the splined ones to see if there are any manufactors stampings on them but I assumed they were cheap aftermarket replacements.

Back