• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

amp rating for stock alternator

I think it's something like 65 amps w/o a/c, and 80 amps with a/c. Not sure about that, but it's not much.

Could be any where from 60 to 100 amps.Look for tag #1101167 or #1101170 these could be 85-100 amps.
Wayne

JGXJ,

You are fortunate, your 89 XJ has the very common Delco CS-130 alternator on your XJ. You can do searches on the web for higher output alternators. I found that someone came up with an imporved case with fins to get the heat out of the rectifier. This kit is called the Iceberg.

You can also get CS-130 altenators which have 105, 140 and 170 amp ratings. Just search around, I found it was cheaper to buy an alternator made with all new components than to buy a rebuilt at the local big box parts store.

Some of these web sites suggest going to the CS-144 altarnator, it is drops in without any modifcations to wiring or mounts. The CS-144 comes in 140, 170, and 200 amps.

Do some research and you may find an alternator to fit you needs; however, before you change out a working alternator for a high amp model try what CraigH suggests, it worked on my 88 XJ. http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

Martin

Out of curiosity I just went and got hte owners manual and it says stock alternator is 65 amps. I replaced mine with a 100 amp from napa (rapers, cheaters, loosers!!) seems to be working ok!

BUMP!

Yes this thread is very old, but why start a new one?

My 88' is a base model with a 4.0L no AC. I'm guessing it would have the 60amp (parts store said they list a 60 and a 100). Could I put the 100 in without any ill effects?

BUMP!

My 88' is a base model with a 4.0L no AC. I'm guessing it would have the 60amp (parts store said they list a 60 and a 100). Could I put the 100 in without any ill effects?

Follow the link in Martin's post earlier in this thread.

Yes, you can upgrade to the 100 amp direct fit.

Lots of people recommend the high amp alternators. If you are running a bank of searchlights, electric winch, subspace radios, and a 1500 watt amplifier, no problem. Go for it, you'll need one.

If you do add the high drain stuff, the alternator is mandatory, too. Add it to your costs and plan from there. Many don't, and constantly have problems with undercharged batteries, no starts, and poor performance from their equipment.

Conversely, if you don't have the stuff, the mod is unnecessary. At least it's not obvious, like a 6" lift on 235-15 Liberators.

My old '90 is running 85/100's Hellas on a stock replacement alt and no problem. There is some extra capacity in the system.

BUMP!

Yes you can. The voltage regulator will keep the alternator output current down to just what's required (if you only need 30A, you only get 30A - trust me, it just works that way. cf: Ohm's Law and/or Watt's Law.) An alternator does not "live" at maximum output, so you're not straining the thing.

It's no trouble to install a "larger" alternator in the system, as long as you can mount it up and have it work.

Back