• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How close to possible would it be?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
There is a 1984 Cherokee 2.8 Litre V6 with a manual tranny for 550 bucks 30 miles away from me (and thats rare to find one in Iowa on ebay). Would it be possible to take the 2.8 and the manual tranny(no idea what model maybe the T-4 or something) and put it in mine. How many mods would I need to make. Ive got a 90 4.0 AW4. Many may ask why I would wish to do this and my only answer is that I want a manual tranny and my current engine is about to blow. (Probably literally). Anyone ever done anything even relatively close to this?

The manual on that rig is not compatible with the 4.0L, or at least not without a lot of work, and by the way it is not strong enough for the 4.0L. You need to keep an eye out for and AX-15.

You CAN do what you're suggesting -- but you really REALLY don't want to. That engine is underpowered and a piece of junk.

What's wrong with your engine and why do you think it's ready to blow? The 4.0L engine doesn't usually blow. They are generally good for well over 200,000 miles.

Eagle-I dont know man its just lost a lot of power over the years. Ya know and of course you have to figure normal engine wear like youve told me before the thing is 14 years old.
Im definitely thinking the cracked exhaust manifold and fouled o2 sensor are affecting the power though. I dont think it would be worth putting the 2.8 in though Ive always been a 4.0L fan. Maybe its best to just wait for an AX-15 to surface. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

jeepguy1990 said:
Eagle-I dont know man its just lost a lot of power over the years. Ya know and of course you have to figure normal engine wear like youve told me before the thing is 14 years old.
Im definitely thinking the cracked exhaust manifold and fouled o2 sensor are affecting the power though. I dont think it would be worth putting the 2.8 in though Ive always been a 4.0L fan. Maybe its best to just wait for an AX-15 to surface. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm all for a manual trans, but NOT the way you were thinking. Before you do anything, you should figure out WHY you've lost power. Fouled o2 could definately be a cause. I would suspect a cat going/gone bad also. Check compression and fuel pressure. There's a whole list of things to check before you "fix" what you don't know is broke.

Here's the deal: a bad oxygen (O2) sensor usually results in a rich mix, and that dumps unburned fuel down the exhaust, which then burns out and clogs the catalytic converter. And having a clogged catalytic converter is a lot like stuffing a potato in the exhaust pipe -- progressively worse loss of power, especially at higher RPMs when the engine is trying to pump more air through it.

Now I know this probably wouldn't be recommended but if I sniff the exhaust would I be able to tell if its discarding unburned fuel?

I have an ax15, pulled in favor of an auto. no flywheel, clutch, or slave cylinder. Its from a 95, 110000+- when I pulled it about 2yrs ago.
If your interested let me know.
chadc
[email protected]

My $.02 also is that the V6 is a piece of junk. The 4.0L was the best engine ever put into the XJ and this is even stated in the Buying a Used Jeep Guide. The V6 is severely underpowered and should be steered clear of.

jeepguy1990 said:
Now I know this probably wouldn't be recommended but if I sniff the exhaust would I be able to tell if its discarding unburned fuel?

Yeah, get a stop watch and time how long it takes for your eyes to water when you do that. If it takes less than 10 seconds, you're discarding unburned fuel :laugh3: Seriously, you SHOULD be able to see a little or more black smoke from the exhaust if you're really rich and you should be able to smell a rich condition if you're familiar with "normal" exhaust smell. Best way would be to have it sniffed on machine tho.

But the fumes smell so good.....

The auction ended for the Jeep so it looks like thats a no go. Ill probably just hold off and try to find an 87-90 with the 4.0 and AX-15. I at one time found an 88 Comanche in Illinois that ended at 300 bucks. I should have gotten that one. Had low miles, the 4.0 and AX-15.

jeepguy1990 said:
But the fumes smell so good.....

The auction ended for the Jeep so it looks like thats a no go. Ill probably just hold off and try to find an 87-90 with the 4.0 and AX-15. I at one time found an 88 Comanche in Illinois that ended at 300 bucks. I should have gotten that one. Had low miles, the 4.0 and AX-15.

How many miles are on yours? If you don't have 200k or more, then IF it were me, I would definately find out why it lost power and try to fix it. You could always buy a manual trans setup and swap everything. If that's your jeep in your avatar, I'm sure you'd rather do the swap and fix your motor. But, whatever turns your crank.... or doesn't!! :peace:

First off, I wish that was my Jeep in the avatar-mines close but not there yet. But I think it is best to just find out whats wrong with the motor and go from there. Thanks for the help everyone.

It would probably be just as easy to throw in a V8. Used 4.0's and AW4's can be found easily for a few hundred...

jeepguy1990 said:
... I at one time found an 88 Comanche in Illinois that ended at 300 bucks. I should have gotten that one. Had low miles, the 4.0 and AX-15.
No, it didn't have an AX-15 ... not unless the owner swapped it in. The AX-15 didn't show up until 1990 or 1991. And the early AX-15s still used the internal slave cylinder.

I thought he had said it was an AX-15 but I could be mistaking. I still would have liked that thing though....it was cherry.

Back