• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling axle

t bell

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a lug that needs sto be pressed in my rear axle. How do I pull the axle? I have a Haynes book that says that I don't have to pull the differential. Says something about unbolting the backing plate through this hole in my flange and use a slide hammer with axles puller adapter. But I don't have a hole in my flange. Please help. Oh it's a '91 withn on posi D35.

t bell said:
is that why I don't have a hole in the axle flange? So I can take this drill bit back to Home Depot.
If there is no hole in the flange, there is no way it could have been bolted down. It MUST be a c-clip axle. Pull the c-clip and the axle will slide out.

Keep in mind, those Haynes and Chilton books were probably written before the axles started getting c-clips.

Keep your bit. You'll need it someday.

I've changed studs without pulling the axle. Take a hammer and strike the stud on the threaded side and you can pop the stud out. Slide the new one in from the rear and put a wheel on, lube the mating surface, use a new lug nut, tighten the lug nut and it will pull the stud into place.

I used a C-clamp and pulled the lug back in. It is not all the way in, though. I do have the wheel on it but was afraid that the lug would get stuck on it somehow if I tightnend it too much.

Back