• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Diff Protection - Anyone Use These?

Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how important or needed is protection for the front diff if you are not "rock crawling"? Is that a common area to BANG out on the trails?

i have the Warn diff guard on mine, i think it is worth the insurance if you hit anything like a stump or rock.

Jeep said:
Just wondering how important or needed is protection for the front diff if you are not "rock crawling"? Is that a common area to BANG out on the trails?

I think this is relative to how you use your rig and the terrain you wheel.........I wheel in Moab and loose rubble of the Wasatch Range and I whack my front diff all the time on loose rock, with 33" tires and 6" lift......usually the lower lip of the pumpkin or the LCA mounts.
I made 1/4" plate skids welded to the lca mounts for added strength and protection, as well as running a "chin guard" diff cover unit from 4XDoctor. I've since made a few D30 chin guards using 1/2" steel rod, bent to match the contours of the cover and add strength. The front cover is thicker than the rear, but you can still bend it if you hit it hard enough without protection.

well it depends on if you go straight over big rocks, lol... i have a PSC rock ring and it seems to do the job perfectly. whats nice about it also is that the diff bolts recede into the ring so they are fully protected

brandon

Back