• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

An idea for repair-prep

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of doing this with mine, and you may want to with yours:

There is some variability in sensor values form unit to unit, and with temperature, age, etc. Looking at the TPS discussions shows that there can be a good variance in supply and sensor voltages form one person to the next.

So, why not take readings (at operating temp) of the resistance values, reference voltages, and sensor outputs while it's running well? Keep it in a log, and if things start to run badly, compare with those numbers. There aren't that many.

For instance, if the TPS reference can be 4.5-5.5 volts (5v nominal), and you check it after it's running bad, see in the book it should be 5v, but it's at 4.5v, well maybe you think that's it. BUT, looking at your log, you see it was always 4.5v - on to the next guess.

For things like the TPS, it would be reference voltage, idle output, WOT output, and batt ground to ground wire (ground differential if any) at the sensor. Maybe even disconnected resistance on that one.

Just thought I'd throw that out to everyone, especially the older model owners. It might help narrow down problems faster and with less unnecessary cost.

Skip

Back