• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxygen sensor causing probs?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a bad oxygen sensor(so the stealership told me) on my 90 4.0. They said that it is closely related to the ccv tube running into the front of the valve cover and said unless I replace the ccv tube there's no point in replacing the o2 sensor. My question is when o2 sensors do go bad what do they cause the vehicle to do? Mine dawgs badly even with a newly rebuilt tranny but the engine does have 210,000 thousand on it. Could it be the o2 sensor that is causing the dawgging though?

a bad o2 sensor can give you some bad driveability problems like bucking similiar to what a bad plug wire can feel like. ask him to show you on the scanner that it is bad. the reading should fluctuate smoothly from just over 0 volts to just under 5 volts.

I second what jneary said, but I do not understand how the O2 sensor can in any way be related to the ccv tube. The O2 sensor provides data to the injection system. The ccv system pulls oil fumes out of the crankcase to prevent them getting into the atmosphere. If the ccv is clogged, the fumes escape. You cause pollution while driving, but it doesn't noticeable affect driveability. I should know -- I drove an '88 from Connecticut to Montana trailing fumes and an oil slick all the way, and got 21 MPG for the trip.

Well I already had them test it and I hate the local stealership so I dont want to go back down there at this point. I just wish this dealership would do the recall on it because there is one for the o2 sensor on a 90. If I can find a way to probe it Ill do it myself. Thanks for the help though and has anyone else had a similar problem with their o2 sensor?

I agree with you eagle I thought the ccv had nothing to do with the o2 sensor. I really hate this damn dealer here in Des Moines because they always screw everyone(all my brothers have taken their Jeeps there too, they charged me $113 to adjust the tps when they said $40 on the phone.) Anyway I'm not too worried because its just the ccv one that is broken the back pcv tube is freshly replaced. If the o2 sensor is screwing up the engine performance then I'll replace it otherwise its gettin left alone though. I'm still getting decent gas mileage (I get 200 highway miles on 3/4 of a tank.) Any more opinions/thoughts?

there was a recall back in 1990 but it was probably done or doesnt qualify anymore . we were informed what to look for before replacing the o2 sensors. i'm sure if it was the original, the dealership would have done it for you. chrysler isnt responsible for aftermarket products installed on the car . so if it is bad and not the original, or the new design sensor was bad, its on you, provided the oem was more than a year old.

I actually do believe it is the oem one because my family has had the XJ for 60,000 miles or so of its life and I know we haven't replaced it. They're supposed to be changed every 84,000 miles or whatever so it's probably time for a new one but I dont need to spend any more money than necessary.

you can always inquire if the recall was done. we have access to the chrysler info and we run your vin number that tells us all about your warranty coverage if any and any incomplete recalls. if you give me the last 9 numbers of your vin, and mileage i can check it for you.

I'll give you my full vin Jneary and thanks in advance for checking up for me.

*IJ4FJ38LILLI22483*

To tell you the truth I'm not sure on actual mileage because we upsized the tires about 40k ago. Cluster reads 201,843 though. Main thing I'm lookin for is recalls but get back to me on whatever you find out. Thanks a lot!

Back