• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4to1 for trans-case, whos?

Geepfreak

NAXJA Forum User
T-case has gone again, when I rebuild this weekend, I am going to put in a 4 to 1 gear set, the question is, what are the opinions of the different brands.. WHAT is everyones opinion. :soapbox: what sucks, what works.

Thanks Guys.

Should have mentioned that an Atlas is a little too much for the wife to handle(she does the checkbook), if she did'nt, I would be homless, but have one, no 2, no 3 smoke'n trail rigs and live next to the river in Moab, wait thats sounds pretty good. :doh:

Geepfreak said:
Should have mentioned that an Atlas is a little too much for the wife to handle(she does the checkbook), if she did'nt, I would be homless, but have one, no 2, no 3 smoke'n trail rigs and live next to the river in Moab, wait thats sounds pretty good. :doh:

RocTrac, JB Conversions.

Around $1600, not much more than a 4 to 1 kit.

Build the 231 stock and save money for an ATLASII.

What went wrong for it to go, AGAIN? 231s usually last a long time in their stock form.

hinkley

I used a Teraflex and have had no issue with it.. Only had it in 4 low for a few days of wheeling but again no problems.. It takes it a little bit of time for the gear whine to settle down but they say the more you use it the quieter it will get. At the same time I put in a 2 Wheel Low shift fork and my only way now to make it perfect is to get a new shifting bezel so that my wife or anyone else driving it knows that 2wl low is down there at the bottom of the shift pattern instead of 4wheel low...

All that said I went with modifiying my stock 231 instead of an Atlas for saving some $$$ vs the atlas. Also I wouldn't have to chop the interior for the twin sticks (as cool as they are).. The way I saw it, I wheel only a few times a year, was doing a SYE at teh same time and saw no real need to drop 2k+ on an Atlas with twin sticks... the 4:1 from Teraflex cost about 1100, the SYE about 250 and the new driveshaft about 240..

The most fun was actually working on the vehicle and getting it done! It definetly took longer than actually wheeling it around the badlands last weekend!

P.S if you decide to rebuild the stock 231, I have all of the parts from mine just sitting around waiting to be used... =-) Let me know what you might need.

George T.

gptrilik said:
I used a Teraflex and have had no issue with it.. Only had it in 4 low for a few days of wheeling but again no problems.. It takes it a little bit of time for the gear whine to settle down but they say the more you use it the quieter it will get. At the same time I put in a 2 Wheel Low shift fork and my only way now to make it perfect is to get a new shifting bezel so that my wife or anyone else driving it knows that 2wl low is down there at the bottom of the shift pattern instead of 4wheel low...

All that said I went with modifiying my stock 231 instead of an Atlas for saving some $$$ vs the atlas. Also I wouldn't have to chop the interior for the twin sticks (as cool as they are).. The way I saw it, I wheel only a few times a year, was doing a SYE at teh same time and saw no real need to drop 2k+ on an Atlas with twin sticks... the 4:1 from Teraflex cost about 1100, the SYE about 250 and the new driveshaft about 240..

The most fun was actually working on the vehicle and getting it done! It definetly took longer than actually wheeling it around the badlands last weekend!

If you go with the Roctrac, no extra for SYE, HD 241 and no cutting. Drop old install new.

Choices are kind of limited,Tera-Flex is the only manufacturer of the 4:1 for the NP231!!

The roc-trac 241 is now 2200 from jb conversions, I checked last month, instead I bought a used tera 4:1 kit, and now am having a hard time finding a 21 spline input for it.... sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. just my .02 worth.

Clean-RC said:
The roc-trac 241 is now 2200 from jb conversions, I checked last month, instead I bought a used tera 4:1 kit, and now am having a hard time finding a 21 spline input for it.... sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. just my .02 worth.

That sucks, then I guess I have to agree with Hinkley. :eek: Save for an ATLAS or maybe a D300.

ChuckD said:
If you go with the Roctrac, no extra for SYE, HD 241 and no cutting. Drop old install new.

Last I heard, A/A made XJ specific linkage so you don't need to cut anymore. The twin sticks fit right inside where the 231 handle is currently.

-Mike

Big Jeep 101 said:
Last I heard, A/A made XJ specific linkage so you don't need to cut anymore. The twin sticks fit right inside where the 231 handle is currently.

-Mike
that's what I hear too.

personally, I would get a D300, do the $20 flip (search PBB), 4:1 is only $600, home-made twin-stick.... done for well under a grand. but of course it would require a bit of fabrication.

Big Jeep 101 said:

-Mike

RIGHT!
:rolleyes:

hinkley

It is for a D300, already twin sticked it, the intermediate shaft called it quits.

I have an Atlas but I had the money. Whatever you do, don't spend money to replace something you broke with the same thing so you can break it again. You can't afford to do that either. If it breaks, replace it with something stronger.
mattk

That is correct about the XJ specific linkage. Sombody in Socal just ordered one up with all the fixin's. not only does it come iwth the XJ shifter. but also the adapter plates and everything to bolt in. you just need to specify whether you have 21 spline or 23 spline.

I bought my Rock-Trac last month from JB conversions for 1995.90 shipped to my door here in nor-cal with the new super short sye. The higher price mentioned is including the custom drive shaft from Tom Woods that is included but you may not need. You can knock some more of the price if you just want a standard sye. Easy to install with this unit. And its just my preference to have a chain driven unit versus an all gear unit.

Thor

I can still get them cheaper if you want them. $1700.00 for the rock trac.

Clean-RC said:

Last edited:
Back