• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hate to bring this up again, but am needing clarification...

DharmaDog

NAXJA Forum User
Before I plunk down the cash, I wanted to absolutley sure I'm getting the right part. I am wanting to get the Borla header for my 98 Classic. Banks or another high quality part would be accepted if it included the downpipe. My understanding is that only Borla includes it. I know it could be manufactured, but still...

Borla only lists applications up to 97 XJs for part 17039 (their #). Summit says the same part only goes up to 96. :huh:

Just to confirm one last time: this part (both the header and the downpipe)that is listed only up to 97 will fit my 98, right?

I know a number of people here have the Borla on newer XJs, but did you also get the downpipe installed? Any tricks or difficulties in installing it?

Thanks.

bump

The thing that happens with 98s is that some of them have a Per-cat on them right in the cross over pipe. This is why Borla doesn't call the header out for them. Some 98s have them and some don't, I cut mine out and it is fine, passed smog Ca smog! If you buy a replacement cross over from DC for a 98 it will not come with the Pre-cat.

Everything else should be the same. :D

mark

Do you mean a pre-cat O2 sensor? Mine definitely has one in the downpipe. If I replace the downpipe with the Borla piece thus removing the O2 sensor won't the check engine light be on all the time? Is there any other downside to doing this?

The Borla has the fitting for the O2 sensor

DharmaDog said:
Do you mean a pre-cat O2 sensor? Mine definitely has one in the downpipe. If I replace the downpipe with the Borla piece thus removing the O2 sensor won't the check engine light be on all the time? Is there any other downside to doing this?

No, I said nothing about a O2 sensor.

On some 98s there is a Pre-cat in the cross over tube. Looks like a grapefruit in the middle of the cross over tube.

If you remove any sensors you will have problems.

mark

Ok, thanks. Got it. Mine does not have this pre-cat bulge that you are speaking of. I believe mine was a very early 98 model. I ordered in in October 97 and took delivery in November.

Thanks for clearing this up.

DharmaDog said:
Ok, thanks. Got it. Mine does not have this pre-cat bulge that you are speaking of. I believe mine was a very early 98 model. I ordered in in October 97 and took delivery in November.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Just to show you how screwed up 98s are mine was an early 98 also. :D

But then mine was a Ca jeep.

mark

Back